Weird noise from the engine bay....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hubby says he hears a hull sound coming from the truck whenever he steps on the gas. He describes the noise as a huuuuuu sound. He says he has always heard that the sound is related to the air/fuel mixture. I'm also wondering if this is the reason for the trucks little quirk I have been getting when stepping on the gas, where the RPM's drop to 300 when I feather the gas pedal which in turn makes the truck bog down and act like it's going to stall out.

Would/could this be related to the air mass sensor?

Or if there is something else we should look at. No codes being thrown as of now.

I honestly don't hear it. So describing it is a bit hard. I will have him elaborate and maybe add some more info, see if he can catch it on a video which might be difficult.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
No takers?? Well that sucks lol

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Hard to tell from your description (I wonder why, lol); but, it could be air sucking into the engine that he hears.
You did have the throttle body out a few weeks ago, could the air intake be loose, allowing air to be sucked in without going through the filter.

The filter does act as a muffler for the incoming air.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: A cell phone video would be good right about now, to give a slightly more accurate representation of the noise goin on there.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I will go get a video now...brb!

Okay, so we couldn't replicate the huuu sound, but I did catch a whistle noise close to the intake, not sure if that's normal or not as I cant recall hearing it before. Ignore the ticking noise lol that's been there since we bought it, it's either my pulley or my fan clutch. You should be able to hear the whistle noise after the RPM's start falling from a rev, and once I get it close to the intake.

This video show's (Second rev from the last) how my RPM's fall when I rev the engine. It starts to sound and feel like he wants to stall out, but doesn't. Obviously the video shows too that it is not all the time, but it is about 35-40% of the time only in park or on cold starts, it does do it in the mornings when I first go to take off, but then it's okay until I put it in park.

EDIT- Click the pics and they will take you to the video.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Hard to tell the sound you describe from the video, but as far as the rpm's "falling" to 300....I did not see any evidence of that in the Tachometer video......engine revved up, and then settled right at 600 RPM....that's where it should be.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
MacMan said:
Hard to tell the sound you describe from the video, but as far as the rpm's "falling" to 300....I did not see any evidence of that in the Tachometer video......engine revved up, and then settled right at 600 RPM....that's where it should be.

Yeah it was hard to get it to replicate the falling of the rpm's. It will sometimes fall to 300RPM's as I have witnessed it so many times. Today go figure it was behaving. Maybe tomorrow I can get a better video in the morning when taking the kids to school, that's usually when it happens the most. I actually think I have an old video of it happening and showing the rpm's falling. Let me go see if I can dig it up really quick.

EDIT- Go figure, I deleted the old video off my phone and computer lol I will get a better one if I need to tomorrow.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
MY EYES...... damn polka dots! lol Sounds pretty normal to me really. Did he put his foot in it when he first heard it? I will grunt just a bit when it gets up and goes... You already know that part though.... :rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
MY EYES...... damn polka dots! lol Sounds pretty normal to me really. Did he put his foot in it when he first heard it? I will grunt just a bit when it gets up and goes... You already know that part though.... :rotfl:

He said he heard the noise even when feathering the pedal, I have never heard a huuuu sound from it at all and I drive it all sorts of ways :biggrin:

My main issue is the rpm's dropping and the truck sounding like it's going to stall out, that to me is a bit of a reliability issue when I'm driving with the kids. IT does happen lol I just need to get a better video.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
From your vid of the tach it looks normal to me. Maybe you need to ask Horton hears a who..(Dr. Suess) :rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
From your vid of the tach it looks normal to me. Maybe you need to ask Horton hears a who..(Dr. Suess) :rotfl:

:rotfl: No it's there, it happens. I had it on video but I deleted it as it stopped doing it for a while. Now that it's starting to do it again, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not posting the video earlier. I will WILL get another video to show proof lol but hubby has the truck at work so it will have to wait until tomorrow unfortunately. Hubby thought I was hearing and seeing crap to until he caught it himself, now he believes me :biggrin:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The needle drops down to about 500 RPM's @ about 25 seconds.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
The needle drops down to about 500 RPM's @ about 25 seconds.

OMG thank you!!!! Someone seen it!! :wootwoot:

Any advice though :biggrin: because it's super annoying.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I see it too. Hard to hear the sound in the first video, but i do see the tach drop on that one rev. Someone else my know better, but is it possible this could be a O2 sensor related thing? My old car used to bog down terribly when revved, but only part of the time. That was an 02 sensor, where the car was actually running slightly rich, and when i hit the gas it kinda flooded for a second. Would think that would set a code, but not sure.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
SBUBandit said:
I see it too. Hard to hear the sound in the first video, but i do see the tach drop on that one rev. Someone else my know better, but is it possible this could be a O2 sensor related thing? My old car used to bog down terribly when revved, but only part of the time. That was an 02 sensor, where the car was actually running slightly rich, and when i hit the gas it kinda flooded for a second. Would think that would set a code, but not sure.

It does it worse some times too, I will catch it on video after my nap :biggrin:

As far as throwing codes, my truck seems to be a bit retarded in that area, it's really slow at giving codes, it never threw one with my power steering pump, or my t-stat. The only code I ever got from it was for a dirty CPAS which cleaning it fixed the issue and turned the SES off and eliminated the codes.

EDIT- I got a really good video of the tach falling in RPM's today, so here it is. Just click the picture and it will take you to the video. I'm to lazy to upload it to my youtube account. You can really see it in the last 30 seconds of the video.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online