Weird electrical problem 06 Envoy Denali

jayzx6r

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Hey GMTnation, I need some help with an odd electrical problem. Every now and then when I go to start the envoy it won't start. I get weird noise from the gauge cluster area and it resets the time on the radio and sets my info center back to the odometer from the fuel econ screen. Then, I release the key from the start position and try again and it will start. So, today I drop my dog off at the groomers and 5 minutes later try to start it back up. Nothing, just some weird noises from under the dash, no gauge lights, no nothing. So, I went to pull the key and the factory disc changer started to make some noise. After that totally dead. So, I got a jump and it fired right up. However, I had almost every warning light on including the "low power engine light", stabilatrak, cel, and it was idling real bad. So, I shut it back down and fired it back up no problems then. On my way home I stopped for gas, not thinking and out of habit shut if off. Tried to start it again dead, released the key and all of a sudden gauge lights, disc changer noise, and noise from gauges again. Then it started up. I'm wondering if this a bad ignition, but I'm not sure if anyone can help please do.

Jason

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
jayzx6r said:
Hey GMTnation, I need some help with an odd electrical problem. Every now and then when I go to start the envoy it won't start. I get weird noise from the gauge cluster area and it resets the time on the radio and sets my info center back to the odometer from the fuel econ screen. Then, I release the key from the start position and try again and it will start. So, today I drop my dog off at the groomers and 5 minutes later try to start it back up. Nothing, just some weird noises from under the dash, no gauge lights, no nothing. So, I went to pull the key and the factory disc changer started to make some noise. After that totally dead. So, I got a jump and it fired right up. However, I had almost every warning light on including the "low power engine light", stabilatrak, cel, and it was idling real bad. So, I shut it back down and fired it back up no problems then. On my way home I stopped for gas, not thinking and out of habit shut if off. Tried to start it again dead, released the key and all of a sudden gauge lights, disc changer noise, and noise from gauges again. Then it started up. I'm wondering if this a bad ignition, but I'm not sure if anyone can help please do.

Jason

Any repair work done recently? Have the battery connections been removed lately? Electrical item added?

Sounds most like a loose cable at the battery.

Could also be a ground connection.

Edit:
As noted above, could be a defective battery.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Loose/bad grounds, battery and ignition switch are all suspect.

jayzx6r

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
The batt is less than a year old and I had it checked last month when I replaced the starter. Checked the connections at the batt and they are nice and tight. Have yet to check all the ground wires gonna do that in a minute. I have no aftermarket stuff that would be draining it. Plus, I just ran it and it ran fine. I picked up an ignition switch going to give it a try figure since they have a rep for going bad might as well just change it out. I was wondering what's the odd's the pcm or bcm starting to go bad?

jayzx6r

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Ok, so I checked for loose grounds couldn't find. Then I changed out the ignition switch. I have to say, wow that was too easy! Especially, compared to the fuel pump and starter. I wonder how long it took GM to fire the engineer who made something that easy to change out. Anyway, switch runs smooth and it fired right up. I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again I'll let you guys know.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
jayzx6r said:
I was wondering what's the odd's the pcm or bcm starting to go bad?
The odds are astronomically higher if it's a dealer doing the diagnosing, compared to somebody who's not trying to jack you. The PCM and BCM can't force a gauge cluster and radio reset the way you've observed, which is classic loss of ground, power, or ignition switch glitch.

Edit: Did you check the ground at the bottom of the dash on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online