Water pump changed - Post Maintenance?

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hello, I need some advice. I just had my water pump replaced after it failed on me this past weekend. The mechanic who worked on it said I should keep adding water to the radiator to get any air bubbles out. However, he also told me that I needed to buy a gallon of undiluted Dex-Cool AFTER I already bought 2 gallons of prediluted Dex-Cool. Except, he didn't do anything with undiluted gallon. He just broke the seal and left it there so I can't even return it. The resovoir is full BTW. So, what should I do? Also I can smell coolant, should I be worried?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The smell could be residual from the repair. You could pressure wash the engine bay and radiator to see if it goes away.

If your mechanic told you to fill it yourself, he's not a good mechanic. At worse, should have said to keep an eye on it and drop by if it does drop. These trucks with the 4.2 don't need a special filling procedure. And the fact you didn't notice it go down shows that.

Unfortunately, you're stuck with any opened containers. If you use the full strength Dexcool, you should dilute it 50/50 with distilled water.

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The smell could be residual from the repair. You could pressure wash the engine bay and radiator to see if it goes away.

If your mechanic told you to fill it yourself, he's not a good mechanic. At worse, should have said to keep an eye on it and drop by if it does drop. These trucks with the 4.2 don't need a special filling procedure. And the fact you didn't notice it go down shows that.

Unfortunately, you're stuck with any opened containers. If you use the full strength Dexcool, you should dilute it 50/50 with distilled water.

This wasn't my usual mechanic, but I agree with you. I probably won't be going to him anymore. Thinking back on it, there was a lot that splashed all over when the pump went.

So, to not waste my 20 bucks, should I dilute some of the dexcool with distilled water and add to reservoir as needed? Should I still be setting the heat all the way up to get rid of any air bubbles?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you still have some 50/50 mix, use that first.
Once you have an empty bottle, pour 1/2 of the full strength into it. Take a gallon of distilled water and split it between the two bottles.
Now you have 2 gal of 50/50 mix for the next time you do coolant maintenance (every 2 years is good; 3 max.)
It will keep until you're ready to use it; just keep it tightly capped (and out of reach of kids / pets.)

If you've got a couple of days on the engine with no change in the reservoir level - you should be ok.
Do check the fill level in the radiator when it's overnight cold - if the coolant is starting to come up the fill neck, that's perfect. If not, add coolant slowly until there is no space between the bottom of the fill neck and the coolant.
You can adjust the heat back down to where you normally keep it; no need to roast yourself at this point.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Yeah like Mooseman said...you shouldn't have to do anything afterwards if it was installed correctly. He did not bleed the coolant system fully if he's telling you that and it's a little disconcerting - if you have an air pocket you're going to see the temps climb real fast so just keep an eye on it!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online