Water in trunk - Help

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
08 Saab 9-7x.

Have had a problem with water filling up the storage area in the trunk area for years when it rains or washing the truck. The water appears to be coming from somewhere around the trunk/trunk seal/window (I cannot figure out where exactly) but I figured it was from the seal around the license plate frame, although the amount of water coming in is kinda alarming.

- Fair enough - The liftgate was starting to rust, and I had anticipated replacing it anyways...

So, I REPLACED the entire rear liftgate with an exact replacement I have been storing in my garage for 7-8 years off a low mileage 9-7x. I mean, the liftgate is just in mint condition, really. EXCEPT I still have the leak and its filling my storage area :Banghead:

I think I have ruled out the liftgate itself for the most part, so what am I missing here?!

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hmm, you would need to do some leak testing. I would remove the inner panels on the lift gate, and sit inside the trunk area with the gate closed. Have someone pour water, or use a hose, in various areas around the gate, and you watch for water intrusion.

Initial guess would be the main rubber seal for the gate, not sure if you can beef it up like you can with the 4 door seals, I know there was a write up on doing that on the OS. Possibly the grommet for the 3rd brake light, or the boot for the liftgate wiring harness. :undecided:

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Another thought, when you've had this issue in the past, has anything else been wet too? Headliner, trunk area carpeting on the right side? If not, then that may rule out the grommet and boot, as water getting in there would definitely get into the headliner first, and leak down the passenger side D pillar to get to the floor. :twocents:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you have any variation of these sturdy Folding Aluminum Stands (Supports up to 330 Lbs) ...align it along the sides of the SUV and while using a Bright Flashlight... Examine any Roof Rack Runners for the slightest signs of RUST.

If the Runner Areas have rotted though...due to the effects of acceleration and the general down slope of the Metal Roof... any invading Rain Water will follow the contours hidden inside and cascade aft... and can wind up dripping down at the apex to the Rear Lift-Gate on the INSIDE of the Roof Line.

71YWmSQVT-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg51MUBqT56VL._AC_.jpg

EDIT: Thursday, July 18th, 2024 @ 3:45PM EST

I forgot to mention that if you have a FLIR or Infrared Camera... You can use the Vehicle HEATER and Vented Air Circulation to distribute the Warm Air throughout the entire vehicle...with the Doors Closed, All Windows Rolled Up and with the Lift Gate Window Closed and the Lift-Gate Shut Tight... and view the exterior for Thermal Leaks that might reveal Failure Points in Window and Door Seals that would otherwise be impossible to identify.

THIS is a Very Useful Tool for locating Hard -2-Locate "Wind Whistle" noises ...and places where WATER can intrude into the Vehicle during Heavy Rains and at only occur when moving along at Highway Speeds when a Strong Vacuum is created along the Rear of the SUV.

Then... Allow the Vehicle to Idle in Park for around 10 Minutes in the Open Driveway at Night... it follows on to use the Thermal Camera as depicted in this EXCELLENT Demo Video by "Mechanic Mindset" highlighting the use of the IR Camera for Much MORE than just finding hidden Battery Leak Down- Parasitic Drain Problems... starting around 7:40 time line along in THIS Video:

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One culprit is the plastic seal around the licence plate pocket. It's not the best at sealing and as the bolt standoffs break, the whole pocket becomes loose and allows water in.

Micha

Hi! Your roof racks, if you have them are fastened with screws and nutserts. In my case the drivers side rear fastener had rusted and was leaking like a sieve. It took a long time to find this leak point and the amount of water ingress was massive. It 1/2 filled the storage well under the carpet. I removed the screw from the nutsert and it was rusted out pretty badly. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it with a thin coat of flowable silicone. I also checked all of the other roof rail fasteners and the rest were all in good shape and tight. No further water intrusion after fixing up just one little fastener that had failed.

Cheers and good luck! Mike

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would start with a easy test. Take some duct tape, and go around the rear windows on both sides, all the way around, with duct tape. Do your water test, and see if you have the water intrusion.

Second, on the top of the gate is where the wiring goes from the outside of the body, to the inside. Make sure its seated completely.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online