Vibration

stormyday

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
The 02 extended has developed a strange vibration, feels like I wheel is loose but that's not the case. It only vibrates between 25 and 35 mph. It doesn't matter if I'm on the throttle or coasting, it still vibrates at those speeds. I crawled under the front end and looked around, nothing seems out of place. Crawled under the back and tried to wiggle the drive shaft to check the u-joint. Everything looks good under there to me. Any ideas?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That's a relevant item to share. Any other recent maintenance? Did the vibration start the same day as the new tires or within 2-3 days? You could rotate the spare through the four positions to prove it.

stormyday

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
She said the vibration started Sunday night, the tires have been on for a month. I took the transmission out a couple months ago and had it rebuilt, did plugs, air filter, fuel filter oil, and boots on the coils at the same time.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
do you feel any vibration in the center of the steering wheel? Do you hear the woo...wop...wop....when driving by a wall with the window down?

Or......I had a slight vibration that felt like the tranny a while back.....turned out it was the front u joint.

Just a couple of things to consider in general. Give more detail and Dr. Roadie will get you fixed up I am sure!:yes:

stormyday

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
I checked 4x4 , it's not . I had it detailed the day after it got tires and he musts bumped it into awd when he was cleaning it. Every time I turned it felt like the tires were rubbing, I was pissed, here it was awd

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
stormyday said:
The 02 extended has developed a strange vibration, feels like I wheel is loose but that's not the case. It only vibrates between 25 and 35 mph. It doesn't matter if I'm on the throttle or coasting, it still vibrates at those speeds. I crawled under the front end and looked around, nothing seems out of place. Crawled under the back and tried to wiggle the drive shaft to check the u-joint. Everything looks good under there to me. Any ideas?

I had this same scenario a couple years ago with my EXT. Turned out the rear passenger side tire had been under-inflated for too long and had worn unevenly. Although mine had a lot more time logged on the truck than yours have.

IMAG0014_zps7fd32b02.jpg

IMAG0015_zpsf187af56.jpg

IMAG0016_zps83c2440b.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I don't believe it should be binding in A4 WD perhaps it did not fully released from 4 WD.

stormyday

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
It may of been 4hi, it's Ben a while, that issue was solved a while back anyhow. I'll check out the tires tonite when I get home

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You won't likely see a belt separation, I try what Roadie suggested to move the spare and see if the vibration goes away. There's a chance you threw a wheel weight and if there was a heavy weight there you may feel it at 25 MPH.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah....that will do it. :yes: If one side is bad, may as well replace both since you will need an alignment afterwards. Must have been real bad if it shook at 25, glad you found it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
04envoyxlv8

Members Online