Used K&N intake kit. Should I worry?

05_ext

Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
I'm picking up a used intake from a bravada tomorrow and wonder if I should worry about anything. It's real cheap ($20!!) so I'm kinda worried that something is wrong with it but what can possibly be wrong with it?
And if the filter is really dirty, should I try and clean it or just order a new one

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
The idea behind the K&N filter is that it IS supposed to be cleaned & re-oiled, not just thrown away. Most good parts stores carry the cleaning/reoiling kit in stock....just follow the directions.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I just clean my k&n with dawn dish soap. Let it soak for a while and run a hose on it. Let it completely air dry then use k&n oil to re oil it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
05_ext said:
I'm picking up a used intake from a bravada tomorrow and wonder if I should worry about anything. It's real cheap ($20!!) so I'm kinda worried that something is wrong with it but what can possibly be wrong with it?
And if the filter is really dirty, should I try and clean it or just order a new one

The Bravada has a MAP sensor and your 2005 TB, IIRC, has a MAF sensor. I don't know if they are interchangeable. If they are the same shape. :undecided:

05_ext

Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
I don't have any sensors in the intake. Just iat sensor and some tubes that go into the big black box thingy next to the throttle. If it does have Map sensor, can I still use in my truck. Im still going to pick it up cuz it so cheap.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I have used K&N filters in the past and I no longer like them. I don't like how much of the fine dirt that gets by, the minimal net gains don't warrant the lack of protection.

I say get the intake but use one of these filters.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
05_ext said:
I don't have any sensors in the intake. Just iat sensor and some tubes that go into the big black box thingy next to the throttle. If it does have Map sensor, can I still use in my truck. Im still going to pick it up cuz it so cheap.

As long as all OEM tubes and hoses are connected and all holes in the CAI are closed or used, you should be good to go.

05_ext

Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
So it was too good to be true. Intake was complete but he didn't have the original filter. So I only gave him $5. Lol
I still think I got a great deal. Now I just gotta get a filter.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
gmcman said:
I have used K&N filters in the past and I no longer like them. I don't like how much of the fine dirt that gets by, the minimal net gains don't warrant the lack of protection.

I say get the intake but use one of these filters.

Agreed. K&N has been proven to allow a bit too much debris through. Either use the filter linked above or another reputable filter. I am happy with my Amsoil eaAU.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You actually got lucky not to get the KN filter. Now you can get a good filter.

05_ext

Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
What if just get a spectra filter autozone?
Will that be ok? I checked the specs and it would fit. I might do that for now.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Never know till u try it out. Let us know how it works out.... I have a K&N filter. My tb has 106k miles and truck runs awesome. The last person who owned it had the drop in filter already in it. I'll keep using mine.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
05_ext said:
What if just get a spectra filter autozone?
Will that be ok? I checked the specs and it would fit. I might do that for now.

I got a used k&n intake kit. I ised the filter for a while it was used and beat up, so I threw it in the trash and picked up a aem prodry so I wouldn't have to worry about oil mess. Spectra is OK. But you have to oil it and I hate oiling the filters so if you do to go with aem prodry.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online