Upstream O2 DIY Tutorial?

tripn4days

Original poster
May 22, 2014
Anyone have familiarity with replacing the UPstream O2 sensors? I can "almost" reach the harness for the passenger side, but even then I cant see what the hell I'm doing. And then, the "grenade pin" holding this thing in place! Even if I theoretically could manage to get the harness unplugged, how the hell am I supposed to reinstall that pin?!

Is dropping the downpipe going to give me enough room to work? Or is this one of those unfortunate "call the dealer" jobs that's just not worth the hassle?

Thanks for the tips, tricks and advice guys

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
tripn4days said:
Anyone have familiarity with replacing the UPstream O2 sensors? I can "almost" reach the harness for the passenger side, but even then I cant see what the hell I'm doing. And then, the "grenade pin" holding this thing in place! Even if I theoretically could manage to get the harness unplugged, how the hell am I supposed to reinstall that pin?!

Is dropping the downpipe going to give me enough room to work? Or is this one of those unfortunate "call the dealer" jobs that's just not worth the hassle?

Thanks for the tips, tricks and advice guys
I did this last year, not fun but I found a way.

Unscrew the sensor from the exhaust while still connected to the harness, it creates a bit of twist in the wiring, not bad.

Attach the end of a coat hanger or stiff wire to the sensor or wire close to the sensor and feed the stiff wire up behind the engine and pull the sensor and wiring up, at that point you should be able to disconnect old sensor and connect new one.

Use the stiff wire again to push the new sensor down the way the old one came up.

Disconnect the stiff wire, put a couple of "back twists" in the sensor and wiring then put into pipe and screw it in.

Hope that helps you like it did me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.