Unknown humming noise?

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Well today I've tried to tackle an unknown humming/whine noise with no luck. The noise starts roughly around 45+mph. It doesn't matter how hot or cold it is, also doesn't matter whether I'm going straight or slightly turning.

Things I've tried to do while driving was have my wife hold the wheel and I put it in cruise control an try to locate it, I've turned off the AC and my stereo with no luck.

What I did today was take my 0G power wire and speaker cord for my alarm out from the boot in the firewall and resecured the boot because the wire were on the outside of the boot and the boot couldn't sit flush. Well that didn't work but it did help with a lot of engine noise.

What I'm thinking is it might be the aftermarket mirrors (koolvue) because they don't sit flush like the factory ones did. In the past I made up some posterboard cutouts an placed them where the mirrors bolt on the inside of the door.

I know it's probably going to be hard for anyone to help me diagnose the problem without sitting in the truck but I'm hoping someone as had the same issue.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
A long-shot-----
Try pushing on various locations around the windshield perimeter.
My noise starts around 65 but will fade in and out with cross winds. After many many attempts I found if I push gently on the upper left passenger side of the windshield I could make the noise change or go away. The windshield was replaced last fall and I suspect there's a leak in that area.
I haven't attempted a fix yet. I might contact the windshield installer and get their opinion.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
A long-shot-----
Try pushing on various locations around the windshield perimeter.
My noise starts around 65 but will fade in and out with cross winds. After many many attempts I found if I push gently on the upper left passenger side of the windshield I could make the noise change or go away. The windshield was replaced last fall and I suspect there's a leak in that area.
I haven't attempted a fix yet. I might contact the windshield installer and get their opinion.

Hmm that's an idea I'm going to have to try that. I haven't really paid attention to the noise to much because my subs drown it out, I wonder if the pressure on the windshield caused a leak.:undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online