Underhood Liner

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The liner that drops down to help douse a fire is tearing apart on mine. Was wondering if there are any pros/cons to just removing it. I don't plan on getting an engine fire anytime soon, but in regards to noise reduction and even cooling, will those make a difference?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
havent had one under my hood since the day i bought it... weird i know.. but ive never replaced it, and (knocking on wood now lol) i havent had a problem with heat, noise, etc...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
I don't plan on getting an engine fire anytime soon, but in regards to noise reduction and even cooling, will those make a difference?

I suspect most people don't :tongue:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
DenaliHD66 said:
The liner that drops down to help douse a fire is tearing apart on mine.
I honestly don't see that as being its main purpose. Some flawed folklore or urban legend perhaps. It might be protecting the hood paint from cooking and peeling, but GM would only have left it in, even after deleting the less-expensive underhood lamp, if its main purpose was for noise reduction. A quick Googling shows discussions about any fire blanket properties being totally overshadowed by the late dropping of the blanket after other plastic is already burning, and the total lack of stopping oxygen airflow from the bottom. Love to see links to the contrary, though.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
And how would it drop? Isn't part of it held up by metal tabs that are part of the hood?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Mark20 said:
And how would it drop? Isn't part of it held up by metal tabs that are part of the hood?

Usually they are held up by plastic clips. The heat of the fire melts the plastic and the liner drops.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ok so I guess my only motivation for taking it out would be that the engine bay allows for more air flow and stays a bit cooler, but if it is in essence protecting the hood, I'll just leave it go. Or I could delete it, and get a rhino lining sprayed under the hood. lol jk

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have never heard of it being intended to put out an underhood fire. Always though it was for noise reduction and to insulate the metal from extreme engine heat.

If it is intended for an engine fire it must not work very well, every car fire I have seen in the past does not seam effected by the hoodliner in any way shape or form.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I have never heard of it being intended to put out an underhood fire. Always though it was for noise reduction and to insulate the metal from extreme engine heat.

If it is intended for an engine fire it must not work very well, every car fire I have seen in the past does not seam effected by the hoodliner in any way shape or form.

Well, I think it is fire retardent, so the flames dont "shoot" up out from the engine bay. If a fire starts under the engine, chances are its not going to stop on its own, but maybe it has multiple purposes.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
Well, I think it is fire retardent, so the flames dont "shoot" up out from the engine bay. If a fire starts under the engine, chances are its not going to stop on its own, but maybe it has multiple purposes.

True, once it hits the tires though its all over.

Mine was covered in antifreeze a few weaks ago. Flash point average is between 230-260 from what I could find.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
The liner that drops down to help douse a fire is tearing apart on mine. Was wondering if there are any pros/cons to just removing it. I don't plan on getting an engine fire anytime soon, but in regards to noise reduction and even cooling, will those make a difference?

Was a firefighter for 10 years. Lots of car fires (mostly underhood stuff). Never saw one drop, but it might have slowed it. I would bet the primary purposes are to protect the outer hood from heat/paint issues and noise reduction (those and to soften the hit when your struts give out suddenly and you have your head under the hood ~ :crazy:).

LBB

Apr 5, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:

The metal hood is kind of fire retardant as well, so that the flames don't "shoot" up out if the engine bay.
Never saw a fire that did, in general at least what I saw, they come out of the wheel well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.