Under rear seat power source for small amp

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
So I did some searching and ive seen mixed reviews on using the power source under the rear driver seat for an amplifier. Im only planning to run 480 watts or so which is an Amperage draw of approx 25 amps @ 13.8v. It will only be a mids/highs amp,not that that really matters lol. Ill be running 4ga with an anl fuse in line,my main concern is I dont want to fry any factory wiring going from the battery or damage any electrical components doing this. I understand these trucks have very finicky electrical systems which is why im asking for opinions. Thanks guys.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Most likely you will spend a whole lot of loot replacing the megafuse under the hood that supplys the body fuse block... It hardly holds up under the normal load, I highly highly recommend you do not try to pull power from the underseat fuseblock...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would do it. I've measured 70A peak on my megafuse feed when connecting my rear seat battery when it's totally discharged (I have a rear seat battery to power by 12V fridge on expeditions). I would not also try to use all four window regulators. That would be risky for the megafuse.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Im confused with your answer ^ are u saying dont do it? I just dont want to cut any holes in my firewall to run the power wire to the front battery. I most def. dont want to replace the mega fuse anytime soon,not sure how expensive the actual fuse is or how much trouble it is to replace it and I personally dont want to find out lol.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
eutechnyx said:
Im confused with your answer ^ are u saying dont do it? I just dont want to cut any holes in my firewall to run the power wire to the front battery. I most def. dont want to replace the mega fuse anytime soon,not sure how expensive the actual fuse is or how much trouble it is to replace it and I personally dont want to find out lol.

Well the fuse is easy peasy to replace, it is the large fuse on the front side of the underhood fuseblock. It just kills everything inside when it blows (BCM and all). Most people keep a spare zip tied to the underhood fuse cover even.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
in all my years of the TB, my friend with his '03 Voy XL, and through many read posts... something that small to run your highs are just fine hooking up the the rear BCM... my friend in his voy has had an amp pushing 2 10's for 2 years, took that out, and swapped in his amp for his highs, and has ran that for the past 3 years.. no issues..

as for holes in your firewall.. thats what the rubber gromet is for next to or by the steering column... just pull your carpet back and look.. you'll see it..

i say its fine running something that small.. others will chime in though.. as many other members on here have amps hooked up to the rear BCM...

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Can you link me to this exact mega fuse? I might buy one just to have a spare,sounds like its a common issue.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Sorry to jump all over the place but blowing this mega fuse is basically the only problem I could have correct? If that is correct I will buy a spare,if i hook it up and it blows it at ANY point i will rewire directly to the battery.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I get most of my electronic goodies from DelCity, looks like you can get them for about $5 shipped. :undecided: :thumbsup:

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
I looked into doing this for a powered sub but ended up just running the power from the battery. It only took an extra 30 minutes or so worth of effort and ensures I don't screw anything else up. I'll try and post some pics of my audio system upgrade by weeks end, if you're interested.

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
For an amp that small, I think you will be fine. I have never had a problem with running amps from the back. I have since added a second battery connected to the front with 1 gauge wire, but for your purposes, you should be good.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Are we talking 480 watts peak or rms? That's a lot if it's rated in rms. You shouldn't be concerned about the draw of the amp so much, pay attention to how much the speakers draw instead. It's very possible the speakers draw much less than the amp anyway.

Back to the original question, I have no idea how much power it can handle, honestly.

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
McGMT said:
I highly highly recommend you do not try to pull power from the underseat fuseblock...

:iagree: you would never catch me doing that. It not very expensive or involved to run from the battery, I think its worth it. :twocents:

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Yeah it's rms I'm unsure how much more wire I can get through that hole in The firewall lol.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
eutechnyx said:
Yeah it's rms I'm unsure how much more wire I can get through that hole in The firewall lol.

Well if you haven't gotten it buttoned up before next month's meet, then we can add that to our to-do list for after lunch :deal:

Big Mike

Jan 2, 2012
I ran two 12" DVC at 2 OHMs for years from there. Cant remember the amp rating. Lazy was the only reason I connected there and not the battery. Never had any problems. Never had to replaced the fuse. I'm running my carputer (150w power supply) and a 4X45 alpine amp from there now. Still no issues!

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
For the record, you should be able to fit a 4-gauge wire through the firewall grommet with no problem. I have way more wire than that going through there and there is still some room.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Well if you haven't gotten it buttoned up before next month's meet, then we can add that to our to-do list for after lunch :deal:
hmm very tempting lol I'm gonna figure out where I'm going to run The power wire and all next weekend.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online