UCA. 21mm bolt stuck to bushing.

EnvoySLE02

Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Hello,
So I am replacing the UCAs on my truck due to play/noise from the bushings. I started on the Passenger side, and ran into a problem immediately. The rearward facing bolt is stuck to the bushing. The bushing spins with the bolt, and so the UCA end over there moves back when I spin the bolt, not just the bolt head. I have not tried heat on that end yet - it was getting late and I had more work to do on the truck so I got that out of the way. Anybody run into this before? By the way, I can not find the 21mm bolt listed anywhere online.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
We usually recommend LOTS of PB Blaster starting a few days before any work like this in salt-using states.

Special GM-only bolts like this may be available from the dealer, or on-line GM-only discount vendors like parts4chevys.com

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:iagree:

I just lowered mine and replaced the UCA.. for a week, I let my truck sit with PB Blaster on it, and spraying more on everyday... when the weekend came, I was able to get the bolt out with just a basic 21mm wrench and a home made leverage bar...

EnvoySLE02

Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I sprayed them with pb a week or so ago. The first bolt came off easily, the bushing spun on the second. I don't think I can cut the control arm and bushing off without damaging the bolt, so ill try the torch next.

ylab

Dec 6, 2011
On the UCA the 'Nut' is tack-welded to the housing, if it's spinning, the tack-weld may have broken when you attempted to break free. It's happened to a couple of members in the past. Just a head up, watch the removal or initial force used to free those UCA mounting bolts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online