Two-Part Stupid Noob Question

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011

We've all complained about the stupid gasket around the license plate surround, but I do have two questions about it.

1. Why is the surround so bloody big?

2. Is there really a risk of rust if it doesn't get replaced?

Thanks.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
My guess... It is sized for those countries that have the longer license plates (European mainly)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes there is a risk of rust without the gasket... but heck, there is a risk of rust WITH the gasket because it sucks in and lets water in the liftgate anyway. I do suspect that it is a major contributor to the liftgate rusting from the inside out.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Did urs break?? When I bought my ss it started to go under the surround. I just took some pliers and lightly pulled it back out.

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
Mine is sucked in on top right hand side, have to fix too. Rusting on bottom lip and inside latch.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Yea there was a mod for this.. or I should say a fix that was on the OS.. I think the infamous DCM had done something to correct her seal back there.. I believe she took the whole thing out an just used a black silicone as stated earlier... it really cleaned up the look back there... and also, jimmyjam did a write up on the OS on how to fix things up... maybe PM him and see wht he has to say...

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Ya, and my condolences to Bill (the roadie), Ed (Big Ed), and Juan's (Boricua SS) families. :frown:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Think of the thousands of orphan posts. Poor orphan posts.........:frown:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.