Tried to take the Boards off

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Since today was a nice day I tried to take my Boards off. I was messin around trying to get them off, sprayed the nuts with WD-40 and nothing... If anyone has suggestions that you can give me to try. I'll probally take it to the local mechaninc and see how much they want......

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
If you're referring to the running boards, you need to get a can of rust buster and spray the bolts a day or 2 before to loosen things up. A long breaker bar & impact socket would probably help too.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
dont know if this would help... but when we tackled a friends wheel bearings, we had to heat up the axle nuts to get them loose, this being on top of spraying them with PB BLaster... then as Mac said, breaker bar for some added leverage and viola... maybe the same thing would apply to the running board bolts??.. justa thought

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
They should come off real easy

Unless of course they have been on there for 10 years and you are from Michigan

MedicatedMike

Feb 24, 2012
PB BLASTER!!!!!!!!!!

seriously, get a can of PB blaster, best $7 you will ever spend. Spray the bolts several times, preferably the first time being atleast 24 hours b4 you try to remove. Get a bigger bar for leverage and they will come right off. :smile:

The stuff is amazing and Michigan is ruff on rust and such. :biggrin:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Or just get a cut-off wheel tool (electric or air) at Harbor Freight and cut away. It's not as if they have any resale value. :wink:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine were stiff (8 years of winter salt and rust) but all but 2 of my bolts came out. The 2 that didn't broke off the welded nuts so I had to brute force those two out.

Unbolt the ones you can, and chop off the last ones that won't come loose.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online