Transmission will shift but not move!! It worked before we put the new engine in. Any

Babas11911

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
So we put our new engine in which runs great and we put the torque converter in turned it three clicks so we know its right. Everything is hooked up right. When we put it in gear it will not move at all. I know the transmission ran when we first got it and now I cant figure it out. Please any Ideas?

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Check the fluid.
Make sure the shift linkage is on correctly.
If the above don't work, take a pressure check on the trans. You'll have to hook a gauge up to the cooler lines.

lynam

Feb 19, 2012
Did you happen to forget the torque converter bolts? (to flex plate on engine)
:eek:

Also like said above make sure you triple check the fluid level if a tranny is half full it will not move forward at all.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
lynam said:
Did you happen to forget the torque converter bolts? (to flex plate on engine)
:eek:

Also like said above make sure you triple check the fluid level if a tranny is half full it will not move forward at all.

Whoops... It does sound like its not engaged...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Isn't this the one where you replaced the pump in the transmission? Did you follow a manual or something? Transmission internals are a lot like black voodoo. A lot happening inside but don't know how it does it or how to fix it. :eek: The one thing I have never taken apart except for a fluid and filter change.

Maybe the pump isn't primed. I know it's a gerotor pump so it should self prime but did you put some oil in it to get it started? What about the torque converter? Since the torque converter was nearly empty, most of the fluid in the pan probably was used to refill it so re-check the level while it's running.

JimHTP

Jul 30, 2012
I've had the exact same issue, only thing I could conclude was pump damage. Have you compared fluid level in the trans dipstick hot to cold? It should go down when the truck starts I'm told.

Also, you can un-clip the line from the transmission to the cooler and see if fluid comes out. If not, pump no workey.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online