Transmission swap

Roggie

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey guys i'm in the middle of a trans swap right now, i have both drive shafts removed, the transfer case, and now i'm working at removing the trans.

What is the best way to lower the engine/trans enough to be able to remove all 11 bolts from the bell housing?

c good

Dec 8, 2011
I've used a floorjack under the oil pan in the past on other vehicles. This should be no different. You may have to loosen exhaust manifold to header pipe nuts. Be sure to use a piece of plywood or a wooden block on top of the floorjack to spread out load on oilpan. Then lower ever so slightly until you can get to the bell housing bolts. Watch any areas that may be damaged while lowering the motor (ie AC lines, power steering lines, etc) Getting to these bell housing bolts will require some extensions and some swivel/wobble type of adapters. A good impact wrench helps here also. HTH c good

Roggie

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
^^that's what i needed to do to get access to them. I bet i had a 36" extension put together by the time it was all done. Tough job. 22 hours by myself.

For other's reference, here's what you have to do to swap the tranny:

1. Remove Rear driveshaft
2. Remove steering support cross shaft
3. Remove front driveshaft
4. Remove carbon canister
5. Remove transmission cross member
6. Remove transfer case
7. Remove tranny

Install is just reverse...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members