Transmission slipping at the same time the alternator went out

Mommymobile8

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I'm having issues with my transmission slipping in 3rd and drive. Last Friday while driving all of the lights on my 04 gmc envoy started dimming, started with the headlights then everything else started and that went on for about 5 minutes and then the battery light came on and the the volt meter dropped 12 or whatever, but as soon as that happened the truck started slipping in 3rd gear and drive. I at first thought it was the belt slipping but about 10 more minutes and the truck cut off. The battery is two weeks old but had my alternator tested and it was bad, I replaced the alternator and now the only issue I'm having is the transmission is still slipping..anyone have an ideas what would cause this to happen at the same exact time as the alternator going out, and why it didn't fix with new alt if they're connected

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Mommymobile8 said:
I'm having issues with my transmission slipping in 3rd and drive. Last Friday while driving all of the lights on my 04 gmc envoy started dimming, started with the headlights then everything else started and that went on for about 5 minutes and then the battery light came on and the the volt meter dropped 12 or whatever, but as soon as that happened the truck started slipping in 3rd gear and drive. I at first thought it was the belt slipping but about 10 more minutes and the truck cut off. The battery is two weeks old but had my alternator tested and it was bad, I replaced the alternator and now the only issue I'm having is the transmission is still slipping..anyone have an ideas what would cause this to happen at the same exact time as the alternator going out, and why it didn't fix with new alt if they're connected

I dont know exactly how envoy trannys work too well but my dad had a 1999 dodge durango that had alternator problems and it would mess up the transmission solenoids and his truck wouldnt shift past 3rd gear
Happened 3-4 times in the course of 2 years so he traded it for a polaris 750 atv lol but then again it did have 570,000kms so he definitley got his moneys worth

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mommymobile8 said:
the transmission is still slipping..anyone have an ideas what would cause this to happen at the same exact time as the alternator going out, and why it didn't fix with new alt if they're connected

Never heard of problem like that. That's not to say there could be an underlying problem with the circuits but it's more than likely not related. I would check the transmission fluid level. If that is good and you have high mileage on the trans then it's probably time for a rebuild. I would get at least 2 quotes for repair. Probably one from a reputable diagnostic shop and a couple more from a few transmission shops.

Mommymobile8

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Well I've checked the fluid level and its good, the fluid doesn't smell burned or anything..I've had so many problems with the transmission, it went out once and the shop claimed to repair it and like 5 months later the shift solenoids went out along with the torque converter, replaced all of that myself because the shop wouldnt stand behind his work and it did fine for about 6 months until now. It wasnt having any driving or shifting issues before the alternator went out, and that's very weird to me.. The only code I'm getting is for the camshaft position actuator..

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I think you need to go to a few quality transmission shops and ask about warranties to perform a rebuild. Good shops should stand behind their work for at least a year.

Mommymobile8

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I know its been a while but I have been so busy and haven't had time to mess with the voy, but I finally got around to checking the codes again and there is now a p0741 code for tcc solenoid, before I go into the transmission and replace the solenoid is there anything else I should check first?my thought on it is that when the alternator went out it some how fried the solenoid, but I'm asking because the explanations were : 1. Tcc solenoid stuck 2.open or short circuit. 3.transmission range selector...thanks for any help that has been and possibly will be given

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mommymobile8 said:
before I go into the transmission and replace the solenoid is there anything else I should check first?

Other than changing the transmission fluid and filter and replacing the solenoid yourself there is not a lot you could do. You can try those things but it's not a guaranteed fix.

I think this code is for the converter not locking up, not for the solenoid not working. Not 100% sure about this. If I was you I would have a reputable transmission shop diagnose it before tearing out the transmission. From what little reading I have done it could be the solenoid or it could be the torque converter. Could also be the thermostat in the transmission as lockup is affected by transmission temperature if I am not mistaken.

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
Mommymobile8 said:
I know its been a while but I have been so busy and haven't had time to mess with the voy, but I finally got around to checking the codes again and there is now a p0741 code for tcc solenoid, before I go into the transmission and replace the solenoid is there anything else I should check first?my thought on it is that when the alternator went out it some how fried the solenoid, but I'm asking because the explanations were : 1. Tcc solenoid stuck 2.open or short circuit. 3.transmission range selector...thanks for any help that has been and possibly will be given

This code doesn't actually indicate slipping. When you have it in 3 or D and get to a certain speed and if the transmission is at a certain temperature it will apply the torque converter clutch (TCC) to effectively lock the engine with the torque converter. This code indicates that circuit is not activating correctly. This could be due to a leak in the circuit (bad seals) or the bad/clogged TCC solenoid. I can tell exactly when mine locks because I have the isolator valve that effectively removes PWM, but if you don't then you should be able to watch your gas mileage go up in either 3 or D when the TCC engages (or stay low when it fails to). I don't like to drop the pan when I don't have to... especially with Dex VI being around $6-8 per quart. But if you have to, you have to. You'll need five quarts.

It's really weird to have such a problem with so many solenoids, especially new ones. Is your filter still good? I could understand so many failing if the filter was bad and throwing debris into the valve body...

If it were me, I would order a new TCC solenoid (I found some that were only ~$15) and pull the pan. Check the resistance on the old one with a multimeter and check for debris that might be clogging it. If just debris, thoroughly clean and put it back. It should have a metal screen in the end of it you can check. Then you'll have an extra TCC solenoid in case it fails in the future. If the resistance is outside 20-40 Ohms, replace with the new one. Oh, and it goes without saying, but if your old one is clogged you should definitely replace the filter.

Have you unhooked the battery to perform a relearn on the PCM recently? If the alternator went bad then some weird stuff can happen electrically. It's worth a shot. I would also clear the codes and see which ones reoccur. Are there any other codes?

Mommymobile8

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Thank you guys for the detailed responses...I dropped the pan last night and changed the solenoid with no luck..the filter was a little nasty but the bottom of the pan and magnet looked great esp compared to less then a year ago when I changed the filter and fluid last...I've been trying not to drive it until this problem is fixed but when I do drive it, it stays in 2nd gear it won't move in 3rd no matter what I do it's exactly as you described it like its not locking up..also less then a year ago approx. 6-7 months ago the torque converter was replaced, i hope it isn't that again yikes..

I didn't get a chance to check the resistance on the replaced solenoid as I read your post this morning, but I will check it when I get home just for shits and giggles anyway..and also yes the battery was disconnected when it was replaced, and then also a week later when the alternator went it out, it was discconected, along with last night while changing the solenoid..

I'll post the codes later once I get home I can't remember them, but I want to say they mainly had to do with the cam sensor or the actuator

dfc739

Jul 29, 2012
Des Moines, IA
Mommymobile8 said:
Thank you guys for the detailed responses...I dropped the pan last night and changed the solenoid with no luck..the filter was a little nasty but the bottom of the pan and magnet looked great esp compared to less then a year ago when I changed the filter and fluid last...I've been trying not to drive it until this problem is fixed but when I do drive it, it stays in 2nd gear it won't move in 3rd no matter what I do it's exactly as you described it like its not locking up..also less then a year ago approx. 6-7 months ago the torque converter was replaced, i hope it isn't that again yikes..

I didn't get a chance to check the resistance on the replaced solenoid as I read your post this morning, but I will check it when I get home just for shits and giggles anyway..and also yes the battery was disconnected when it was replaced, and then also a week later when the alternator went it out, it was discconected, along with last night while changing the solenoid..

I'll post the codes later once I get home I can't remember them, but I want to say they mainly had to do with the cam sensor or the actuator

This is why you should tell us as much information as possible. Videos of the malfunction are even better. If I understand you correctly this time, you are experiencing no power application (tachometer RPMs increase but no acceleration) when it goes to shift to third and fourth gear, NOT a failure of the TCC. The TCC only engages AFTER third or fourth gear is achieved. A certain error code should be set if this is the case. You need to be VERY specific when you are trying to troubleshoot problems on an internet board, especially when it's on something as complicated as an automatic transmission. So I'll ask again, what other codes are present?

I also think you should take it to a reputable transmission shop and see what they say.

I remember you from several months ago. You had a long list of codes. Ahh, here it is: http://gmtnation.com/f25/removing-installing-new-torque-converter-5410/ Did you ever get those fixed?

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
Just for giggles.

I had mine rebuilt a couple years ago. After 7 months it died, they rebuilt, 2 days later it died again. Long long story short it was the computer, intermittently sending wrong voltage to solenoids. They replaced the computer and has been fine for a year now.

Bring it to a tranny shop and have them run their tests, maybe you have the same problem, and seeing that it started when the alternator died maybe the bad alternator took the computer with it.

tragicride

Sep 8, 2013
Mommymobile8 said:

your problem is kinda like mine......mine happen when my ignition went out..... my problem still aint fixed

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.