Transmission service

X5rdman

Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
So had some work down at the dealer today and since the trany is almost due for a change i asked them the price for a flush and was surprised that the dealer told me GM no longer wants the dealer doing flushes and only wants them to drain and change fluid. Now i have had both done, never really thought about which is better. So what are your opinions on this? I held off on the service due to the high price and to see your opinions!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Really not difficult to do yourself. I pull the cooler line from the passengers side and drain into a 5-gal pail. When the fluid sputters I pull the pan and change the filter, replace pan. Then refill with 1 gallon of ATF and run engine until the fluid sputters again. I repeat this until I have drained about 3 gallons and use the 4th gal jug to refill the trans.

I did a write-up on this and in the description I believe I used a 5/16" ID hose and a 3/8" ID hose would likely work better.

How many miles on the trans? Service history?

Just be sure when you refill the trans and it's cold to fill it to FULL COLD. Then drive it for awhile and check it hot.

http://gmtnation.com/f79/trans-fluid-change-1964/

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
Really not difficult to do yourself. I pull the cooler line from the passengers side and drain into a 5-gal pail. When the fluid sputters I pull the pan and change the filter, replace pan. Then refill with 1 gallon of ATF and run engine until the fluid sputters again. I repeat this until I have drained about 3 gallons and use the 4th gal jug to refill the trans.

I did a write-up on this and in the description I believe I used a 5/16" ID hose and a 3/8" ID hose would likely work better.

How many miles on the trans? Service history?

Just be sure when you refill the trans and it's cold to fill it to FULL COLD. Then drive it for awhile and check it hot.

http://gmtnation.com/f79/trans-fluid-change-1964/

:iagree:

By the way this is a change not a flush. Wouldn't do a flush where the filter doesn't get changed at the same time. :twocents: By the way if you mark the bucket in quarts, liters whatever works for you, you will know how much has been exchanged. Up here it calls for 11-13 liters, so we get 14 just to make sure the change is complete :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online