transmission line connectors: correct torque

tcell70

Original poster
Apr 22, 2021
Norcal
I'm installing a rebuilt transmission to my '05 trailblazer powertrain, and I had to move the transmission line connectors / quick connectors from the old transmission to the new one. Found a torque spec online of 28 ft-lbs, and managed to immediately twist the head off one connector with the torque wrench. Crap. Found an extractor that fit the stub though and the broken connector came right out. I have new ones coming from Napa in the morning, and would prefer _not_ to twist the heads off or use the gutentite protocol

does anyone know the correct spec for torquing these transmission line connectors?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Even though the attached 4L60E Transmission Torque Specs PDF says to apply 26-30 Foot Pounds to those Fittings ... Common Sense and Good Judgement by FEEL would suggest:

(1) Ensure that you have the Correct Fitting for your 4L60E Vintage Transmission.
(2) Ensure that there is NO CROSS-THREAD DAMAGE inside the Two Fitting Boss Ports.
(3) Ensure that either the "O" Ring or Thread-Locker is applied to the New Fittings.
(4) If you have ANY Doubts that the Fittings are "Made Of Steel": Apply a Fridge Magnet!
(5) Once the Fitting Bottoms Out...SNUG IT UP ONLY SLIGHTLY MORE...AND STOP.

4L60ECOOLERLINEFITTING.jpg

4L60ECOOLERLINEFITTING2.jpg

More About the Tri-Lobe Retention Clip R&R:

Attachments

• 4L60ETORQUESPECS.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 4L60-4L60E Catalog.pdf
    815.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 4L60E.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Forum Statistics