Transmission fluid capacity

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I will be as brief as possible, this is not story time:biggrin:

had a transmission leak that got worse over the last few weeks, kept adding fluid every couple of days about half a quart...today dropped pan, installed filter, new gasket, added 5qts of fluid, but now it says it's over... what gives.... drove it for a bit (30 miles), then let it idle, ran it through the gears at 5 second intervals, checked the fluid and it was over... now remember, the 5qts should IMHO not put me over, especially since there was a tranny leak... so is the capacity of the EXT less? I do have the deep pan... I would say I am less than a 1/4 of a quart over or so... am I doing something wrong when checking the fluid... also, I am taking the lower reading of both sides...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
KNBlazer said:
I would say I am less than a 1/4 of a quart over or so... am I doing something wrong when checking the fluid.

If you dropped the pan and blindly filled 5 quarts and only came up 1/4 qt short......IMO that's pretty good. Is the vehicle perfectly level?

A lot of factors come to play but if you're concerned about it then you could pull the pass side cooler line and let it drain a little. You may get that 1/4 qt out without the engine running but it runs quick if you start it so be warned. Just slide the black plastic collar back and use a pick to pull the spring clip...careful, cover it with your hand because if it takes flight then you're SOL. Then pull the line straight out.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
gmcman said:
If you dropped the pan and blindly filled 5 quarts and only came up 1/4 qt short......IMO that's pretty good. Is the vehicle perfectly level?

A lot of factors come to play but if you're concerned about it then you could pull the pass side cooler line and let it drain a little. You may get that 1/4 qt out without the engine running but it runs quick if you start it so be warned. Just slide the black plastic collar back and use a pick to pull the spring clip...careful, cover it with your hand because if it takes flight then you're SOL. Then pull the line straight out.

I used 5 bottles of Valvoline Dex III, store bought at Oreily... yep it's leveled... I first added 4 1/2 quarts and it brought me to the middle of the crisscross indicator, so I added the rest of the 1/2 quart that I had... I'm just gonna siphon it out through the dipstick... I think the actual fluid lost through the pan is 4 3/4 quarts of fluid...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Could have been a stroke of bad luck that day but I found it next to impossible to siphon out of the fill tube.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Make sure you checked while in neutral. I've seen many vehicles show high when in park.

I don't mean to insult, just a possibility.

Good luck!

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Robbabob said:
Make sure you checked while in neutral. I've seen many vehicles show high when in park.

I don't mean to insult, just a possibility.

Good luck!

far from it, thanks... I'll try that, I even checked the manual to see if it mentioned anything different from what I was doing, but didn't....

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Too late now, but you should have used Dexron VI. Unless you already had the Dexron III.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Too late now, but you should have used Dexron VI. Unless you already had the Dexron III.

I had thought about it for like a minute, but this being the first transmission service by me, I thought I should stick with what it came with...Didn't want to chance it and the better DEx VI causing ill effects....

TB bought at 20k and a few hundred miles Certified from a Chevy dealer,

Current mileage 175,000 miles.... it looked though as if it had been serviced already, the gasket was a black hardened gasket and the filter was all plastic...My new Ac Delco was a metal/plastic filter with a rubber/cork gasket...

triz

Apr 22, 2013
CAPACITIES:

Engine, with filter..........7 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........13.7 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, 4L60-E Initial Fill..........5 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed 4L60-E..........11.2 quarts
Differential, Front..........1.7 pints [2]
Differential, Rear..........4 pints [2]
Transfer Case, NVG126..........3.8 pints [3]
Transfer Case, NVG226..........3.8 pints [3]

Transmission Filter WIX 58904 Trans Filter [2] Shallow Pan
Transmission Filter WIX 58847 Auto Tran Filter [3] Deep Pan

Reactions: Blckshdw

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
so I siphoned out the excess fluid... a total of 16 oz were siphoned out... so my pan drop takes a total of 4.5 quarts of Transmission fluid NOT 5 quarts...

View attachment 29790

The total amount of fluid, and the POS siphon pump I don't recommend anyone in buying to siphon transmission fluid... it took me almost 2 hours to siphon 16 ounces....

After driving 10 minutes, my new fluid level is ...

View attachment 29791

Attachments

• IMAG0261.jpg
    IMAG0261.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Pump - IMAG0260.jpg
    Pump - IMAG0260.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Level.JPG
    Level.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 35

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Oh man that pump sucks. Next time get one from harbor freight. 5.99 or something with a coupon and they work quick.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online