Transfercase help!

1978chevy4x4

Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
I have an 02 Bravada that has np 126 transfer case. 4x4 not working. Narrowed the problem down to the clutches being smoked or the solenoid that engages them. I can't find much info or even kits for this transfer case so I came te best place I could think of so any help would be much appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
On the offroad site a couple of us started the month after Vertical Scope bought trailvoy (and I saw how deep the ravine was that it was going to head into), we have a great theory of operation article on the NP226 transfer case. Just ignore the parts about the LO range.

Offroadtb.com Transfer Case Operation: NVG 226 (NP8)

There aren't any solenoids like an auto transmission, just an encoder motor on the side that turns a shaft to engage the clutches. Being dealer-only parts, I've never heard of aftermarket rebuild kits for the clutches. Rockauto has reman units for $727 and various bearings available, but junkyards and Ebay will probably be cheaper for a whole assembly.

GM Parts - Chevrolet Parts, Cadillac Parts, GMC Parts and Buick Parts powered by Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick has the following exploded parts views, and all the individual parts listed for purchase EXCEPT the clutch disks! Items 13/14. I never noticed this before. Inconceivable! Sorry, but I don't know of any member who's ever rebuilt an NP126 or 226 to the clutch plate level.

In a quick search to help you get started, I *did* find a site that lists clutch plates for NP126, so they're out there somewhere: http://www.wittrans.com

View attachment 25659

View attachment 25660

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 14

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members