Transfer Case Seal Leak

IFISHNC

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Today I took my 2003 Envoy with 123,000 miles back to the tranny shop that did my transmission rebuild. They replaced the vent hose I found in my driveway. While the truck was up on the rack they pointed out that I had a seal leaking on my transfer case. They estimated that it would cost around $800 to fix.
I was hoping I could get some advise on whether this is a reasonable price AND is this a repair I could do myself. Also, are there any good diy's you can recommend that would help me along.
Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
For $400 you can put in your own junkyard transfer case.

The difficulty is entirely WHICH seal it is. The rear output one at the tailpiece is not so hard, I've read. (here and at trailvoy). Should be easy to find those discussions. Haven't done it myself. Unless we knew your DIY experience better, nobody can predict if you can handle it.

IFISHNC

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Thanks for the comeback. I put the Envoy up on stands this afternoon and crawled under to see if I could isolate the source of the leak(s). I checked the fluid level first and it was definitely low, so it's not just a "slow" leak. The only place I could identify for sure (please forgive me if I don't get the names right) was between the boot and the transfer case just to the right of the fill hole. I'm assuming where the thingy goes into the case there is a seal. At least this would be fairly easy to get to. However, the mechanic quoted $800 and I can't imagine it costing that much if the only part is the seal and new fluid. What do you think?

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Got a pic?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IFISHNC said:
Thanks for the comeback. I put the Envoy up on stands this afternoon and crawled under to see if I could isolate the source of the leak(s). I checked the fluid level first and it was definitely low, so it's not just a "slow" leak. The only place I could identify for sure (please forgive me if I don't get the names right) was between the boot and the transfer case just to the right of the fill hole. I'm assuming where the thingy goes into the case there is a seal. At least this would be fairly easy to get to. However, the mechanic quoted $800 and I can't imagine it costing that much if the only part is the seal and new fluid. What do you think?

New seal and fluid = $50
Labor = $750
:undecided:

IFISHNC

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I finally got a chance to get under the truck to get a closer look at the leak in my transfer case. I also checked the fluid and, not surprisingly it was low. It is now pretty clear to me that my chances of fixing this myself are pretty slim. The alternative of spending $800 at the shop right after I just spent $2000 on the tranny is not very appealing either. With 123,000 miles the truck is only worth about $5000 anyway.
I have been reading up on transfer cases while searching for info on how to fix one and another option occurred to me which I wanted to run by the members. I don't use my 4 wheel drive anymore. So, if the leak is pretty slow and I check and fill the transfer case once a month or so, would I be able to drive the truck without damaging things any further? I guess from a technical standpoint, I don't know if the transfer case chain is moving when not in 4 wheel drive. If it is moving all the time then I know the answer. I think I'm at a point that I would rather put the money toward a new truck than to keep pouring money into this one. Problem is, I'm really attached to this one. It's been a great ride.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I think you need to find a new mechanic/shop that would be my first take if you don't feel like tackling this yourself. 800 dollars is a real ripoff.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Here in Michigan I picked up a transfer case with 67K miles for $125. Gasket between the tranny and TC was $12 and 2 bottles of AutoTrak and 1 quart of ATF. It can be swapped out within 4 hours (depending on your experience). Not a bad job but just be sure to have a friend to help lift up the TC or use the jack.

Yeah, $800 you could spend on Kooks Headers. Unfornutaly even though you don't use 4WD, in 2WD the TC is always moving and you have to keep fluid in it. Same goes with the front differential if you haven't checked that recently.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giggy

Members Online