Transfer Case Fluid

Royalwapiti

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Might be silly, but I would like to know.

I have my transfer case out right now. I am ready to put a different one in. My question is, when I removed the original transfer case the only fluid I lost was tranny fluid and not much, about a cup full.

So my question is, can I change the fluid in the replacement transfer case now before I install it. I am waiting for some helpers to come put the beast into place. Or will it leak out somewhere? Just thinking it will be easier right now.

I drained the original transfer case, there was no blue in the fluid, it was black and I think I got about 1.75 quarts out.

Any secrets for getting that bottom nut back in, it was a bitch to get out. Had to loosen the adapter mount and jack it and the tranny up about 3/16".

Thanks

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Royalwapiti said:
Any secrets for getting that bottom nut back in, it was a bitch to get out. Had to loosen the adapter mount and jack it and the tranny up about 3/16".

:Rumour:That is the secret. So don't tell no one.:lipsrsealed:

I would wait to fill the tcase until it's installed that way you have the proper angle on it, so you have the correct fluid level. Also top off the trans when done because it will pump fluid in to replace the fluid you lost.

Royalwapiti

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Alrighty, Thank you sir.

I didn't think of the angle, was just gonna put 2 quarts in. Just a little messier trying to get my Mity Vac to work right.

Dec 4, 2011
Royalwapiti said:
Alrighty, Thank you sir.

I didn't think of the angle, was just gonna put 2 quarts in. Just a little messier trying to get my Mity Vac to work right.

You can buy pumps at Harbor Freight that screw on to the container and allow you to hold the bottle below the case and gently, cleanly fill the case. :thumbsup:

Sta-Lube Gear Fluid Oil Pump

Royalwapiti

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Thanks, I might have to try one. I want to do the differentials before I lower it.

I have a mity vac (more for brake fluid) and the Harbor Freight Multi-use transfer pump, never did work too good.

Buy I am a sucker for anything that will make a task easier. And I need to go to harbor freight today anyway.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I just use the pointy top like a gearoil bottle has and a piece of hose. The smurf juice is thin so it goes pretty easy that way, not like 90w. It been a while so I don't remember if autotrac comes with that top on it, or if I use one out of my drawer full.

Dec 4, 2011
Royalwapiti said:
Thanks, I might have to try one. I want to do the differentials before I lower it.

I have a mity vac (more for brake fluid) and the Harbor Freight Multi-use transfer pump, never did work too good.

Buy I am a sucker for anything that will make a task easier. And I need to go to harbor freight today anyway.

The pump I use is the one I bought for the lower end on my outboard engine. They just screw onto the bottle and have a push pump and the flex hose make it easy to fill with no mess. The pump for the outboard is more $ because it is "SPECIAL"

this pump will also work for the gear oil bottle as well just a lot thicker fluid.

Royalwapiti

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Got er Done. Put the salvaged TCase in with the help of my sons muscling it. Used the Sta-Lube pump from harbor freight for the fluid. It isn't quite as nice as it appears. It doesn't fit over the threads of a regular quart bottle of fluid (ie oil, Auto Trak, etc). We poured the fluid into a cool whip container and pumped it out. (It called a Gear Fluid Pump so I can see where it will fit those bottles.)

The Tcase even works...at least on jack stands. Need to change the differential fluid before I lower it.

Thanks everybody.

Dec 4, 2011
Royalwapiti said:
Got er Done. Put the salvaged TCase in with the help of my sons muscling it. Used the Sta-Lube pump from harbor freight for the fluid. It isn't quite as nice as it appears. It doesn't fit over the threads of a regular quart bottle of fluid (ie oil, Auto Trak, etc). We poured the fluid into a cool whip container and pumped it out. (It called a Gear Fluid Pump so I can see where it will fit those bottles.)

The Tcase even works...at least on jack stands. Need to change the differential fluid before I lower it.

Thanks everybody.

Sorry to steer you wrong, I thought the Harbor Freight one screwed on. Since we don't have Harbor Freights up here I have the expensive marine one that screws directly to the bottle.

Glad you got the job done. happy :wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online