Transfer Case Fluid Question, did I stab and break the tranny seal through transfer case?

SLiNv_Vic

Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
:crazy: Hi everyone! Horrible thing happened today as I was changing my transfer case fluid. While I was pumping fluid in to the transfer case and it was approx. 1.3 quarts, the fluid started to spill out a little. Then I thought this could not be it, not even half of the fluid in the 2nd bottle had gone. So I put the tube more further inside the transfer case to see if it's really full or not. Here comes the horrible part... I don't know how big is the transfer case or how far did I stab the tube in... it was "pretty" far way in I guess. So I pumped some oil in that "deep place". Oddly when I finished the 2nd bottle of TC fluid, nothing ran back out... well so here's the 3rd bottle of TC fluid but I just added in around 0.2 quarts. Still not coming back out the fill plug!!! I gave up at last because I don;t think the transfer case can hold too much more than 2 quarts even if I kept adding oil it's going somewhere else anyway LOL.

Question is!!! what the heck happened... any guess? I read a post about 4 quarts of oil coming out the TC here http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=54361
and something about tranny's bad rear seal pumping ATF into the transfer case http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/transfer-case-fluid-change-need-opinions-237478/

:frown: :frown: Did I break something and should I take my car to a dealer?
Thank you in advance for all discussion~~ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Capacity is supposed top be 2 quarts or 1.8L. I doubt very much you broke anything. Check the tranny fluid for smurf blood. I would drain the transfer case again and refill.

When the seal breaks, tranny fluid goes into the transfer case because it has more capacity and is quite evident. I don't think the tranny to case seal is anywhere i9n line with the fill hole.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did you have the rear or pass side of the truck in the air? Was it level when you filled it?

Reactions: Mooseman

SLiNv_Vic

Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Mooseman said:
Capacity is supposed top be 2 quarts or 1.8L. I doubt very much you broke anything. Check the tranny fluid for smurf blood. I would drain the transfer case again and refill.

When the seal breaks, tranny fluid goes into the transfer case because it has more capacity and is quite evident. I don't think the tranny to case seal is anywhere i9n line with the fill hole.

gmcman said:
Did you have the rear or pass side of the truck in the air? Was it level when you filled it?
If the capacity is 2 quarts max, isn't that no matter how you tilt it it's 2 quarts right? so if you put more than 2 quarts fluid in it's gonna run back out. But if the transfer case can hold more than 2 but we are supposed to put 2 in it that would make sense of my case...
hope you understand what I 'm saying :undecided: maybe think of it like a bottle or bucket

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The fill plug is halfway up the case for the most part, the case isn't designed to be completely full of fluid.

The transfer case could easily hold more than 2 quarts.

Fluid is checked with vehicle level.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online