Trans fluid change question

jfkmk

Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I'm getting ready to install my trans cooler, filter and fluid change. When I bought the filter/gasket kit, I was told there is no need to use any kind of gasket sealer. This is not a rubber gasket, which generally wouldn't require sealer. My Haynes manual also does not mention using a gasket sealer. I was wondering what your experience has been. Shoulds I use some type of RTV sealant along with the gasket?

Thanks!

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I don't think you have to, I did more because it helped hold the gasket in place while I was trying to put everything back together.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
no need.

you should clean the pan and mating surface. get all the old gasket out of the way, while being careful to not scratch the trans case.

make sure the magnet is cleaned off and put back in the pan.

torque spec on the pan bolts is pretty light.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
the gasket should hold the mounting bolts for the most part while you hold the pan up and get them started by hand.

(don't be dumb like I was and try to use a socket to start, you could end up with a couple cross threaded holes.)

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
meerschm said:
no need.

you should clean the pan and mating surface. get all the old gasket out of the way, while being careful to not scratch the trans case.

make sure the magnet is cleaned off and put back in the pan.

torque spec on the pan bolts is pretty light.

if I remember right the torque is something like 100 INCH lbs, not FOOT lbs.
I had to buy a new torque wrench for it.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
navigator said:
if I remember right the torque is something like 100 INCH lbs, not FOOT lbs.
I had to buy a new torque wrench for it.

Harbor freight had a deal a month ago on click type torque wrenches. Got the inch pound and ft pound ones for $10 each.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
pan bolt spec is 11 N-M or 97 inch-pounds.

Note that 97 divided by 12 is just over 8 foot pounds.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Full size ft-lb torque wrenches usually aren't very accurate at their low end.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would get the gasket that is the rubbery neoprene type. Push a few bolts through the pan into the gasket and it stays in place. No sealant needed.

Been doing this for the last 5 pan removals and not one drop has leaked from the gasket. You just need to go around the pan about 3 or 4 times with the torque wrench at the 97 in/lb setting since the gasket compresses.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Gaskets can be made using rtv but there is a procedure that must be followed for proper setup time, initial torque and final torque. It can be tricky. But as gmcman indicated the new neoprene gaskets do a much better job. I would stick with those.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
navigator said:
I don't think you have to, I did more because it helped hold the gasket in place while I was trying to put everything back together.

I hold the gasket in place using thread to tie it in every other hole. Thread is small enough not to affect the seal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online