Trans filter and fluid change...

808trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
My 07 trailblazer has 89,xxx miles its a daily driven 7 days a week. Fluid doesn't smell burnt. Should I change it? When I got it had 12,xxx mileage. Lmk what u guys think.:raspberry:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
808trailblazer said:
My 07 trailblazer has 89,xxx miles its a daily driven 7 days a week. Fluid doesn't smell burnt. Should I change it? When I got it had 12,xxx mileage. Lmk what u guys think.:raspberry:
If I recall 100k is normal and 50k is "severe duty" or something like that.
That is using a full replace of all fluid via the pump out method (or have it done at a shop) and new filter.
If you are doing normal driving and plan to do a full replace of fluid/filter I would just wait until about 100k. That is if you think the fluid is ok and aren't having any issues.

I changed mine at 75k with a new filter. with the plan to do a drain/replace of the fluid every 25k miles.
I have a dorman tranny pan (with drain) on the way.
I am going to change it again (at about 100k now) and then do a drain/refill every 25k miles.
I'm installing a cooler as well so I might do the pump out method while I am at it and start clean.

808trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
navigator said:
If I recall 100k is normal and 50k is "severe duty" or something like that.
That is using a full replace of all fluid via the pump out method (or have it done at a shop) and new filter.
If you are doing normal driving and plan to do a full replace of fluid/filter I would just wait until about 100k. That is if you think the fluid is ok and aren't having any issues.

I changed mine at 75k with a new filter. with the plan to do a drain/replace of the fluid every 25k miles.
I have a dorman tranny pan (with drain) on the way.
I am going to change it again (at about 100k now) and then do a drain/refill every 25k miles.
I'm installing a cooler as well so I might do the pump out method while I am at it and start clean.
I want to change the pan also I going with a pml pan it has a drain plug and 7quart capacity over the stock pan. Plus it made out of aluminium.
YourCovers.com GM 700R4, 4L60 Late Model, Deep Transmission Pan

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Wow those are expensive transmission pans. I paid $35.00 shipped for the dorman with the drain plug. I saw some for our trans with fins and a drainplug for around $100 on summitracing.com.

808trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
tblazerdude said:
Wow those are expensive transmission pans. I paid $35.00 shipped for the dorman with the drain plug. I saw some for our trans with fins and a drainplug for around $100 on summitracing.com.
Quality my friend. Also the pan is 2 quarts more than the stock pan plus drain plug ans finned for better cooling.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
808trailblazer said:
Quality my friend. Also the pan is 2 quarts more than the stock pan plus drain plug ans finned for better cooling.

You could also add an external cooler which will give you better cooling and extra capacity.

Did the requirements change after a certain year, I swear roadie has beat 50k miles for the t case, trans and rear on the earlier (04) tucks. I remember because every time I read it, I feel guilty as I'm past that point.

808trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
You could also add an external cooler which will give you better cooling and extra capacity.

Did the requirements change after a certain year, I swear roadie has beat 50k miles for the t case, trans and rear on the earlier (04) tucks. I remember because every time I read it, I feel guilty as I'm past that point.
True that! What's a good brand for a trans cooler?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i went the simpler route for a new pan... OEM trans pan for an SS is $14 from the dealer.. weld in bung, $8 from summit.... i bought a bung because i have a trans temp gauge... so my bung serves 2 purposes... monitor temps, and a drain plug :raspberry:

but i change fluid and filter every 30k miles... then again, SS trannies are as weak as kittens :rotfl:, so thats why i do it sooner...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online