tranny swap question???

NighTblazer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
So, I'm in the middle of swapping out the tranny on my 02 4x4 4.2l swb with one i pulled from an 03. the issue I am having is the seal(s) at the bottom of the bell housing between that and the engine are not the same. There are cylinder shaped ones for my original but the new one looks like it had a one piece larger one. I do not have the one for the new transmission and do not know what it is called and neither did the counter boy at the local auto parts store. I will be calling a dealership in the morning but prefer the all knowing wisdom I can find here. My other question is if I get one for an 03 is it going to match the engine side on my 02?

Thanks for any input.
NighTBlazer

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Any way to get a pic I think I know the seal your talking about just want to make sure.

NighTblazer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Well, the dealership was a bust they have no clue but some how came up with you can only order them with the bellhousing.
I tried to get my dad to send pics of them since my truck is in his garage but he could not find them so i will have to take a trip over and find them.

I do have pics of the place they go.

first one is how my original trans looks mounted with out the "boots" "plugs" installed. the circles are where they go.
the second is with new tranny mounted in place showing difference.

Attachments

• trans holes.jpg
    trans holes.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 5
  • mismatched trans engine.jpg
    mismatched trans engine.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 4

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
no idea about the cover,
but the solution seems obvious...

duct-tape.jpg