Trailblazer has died.

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Not sure what happened but I was pulling radio out to check the antenna connection. when I went to put back in TB started clicking and now battery is dead. any ideas

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
rywegh said:
Not sure what happened but I was pulling radio out to check the antenna connection. when I went to put back in TB started clicking and now battery is dead. any ideas

It started clicking as you were reinstalling? If so, you've created a short someplace. What voltage is your battery reading? If you didn't disconnect the battery and
you did create a short, you may have blown one of the fuses. Also, if you were moving wires, there's always the possibility that you've interrupted the ground connection.
That might cause the ignition switch to not send the right signals to the PCM, not allowing the truck to start.

God Luck!

Chris

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
pulled battery and took to autozone, their meter tested it at 10 volts or is it amps?? Having them put it on the charger for an hour to see if it will hold a charge.

Radio is an aftermarket and I had disconnected no wires. just pulled it out of dash to ensure antenna plug was tight at both connections. As I pushed radio back into its hole I did here some popping and the radio kept shutting off and on.:no: I went to turn the key on and just got a big click sound. then nothing and I noticed the light going dim. disconnected battery and let sit for a little while. but when I reconnected it was dead. when I turned the key nothing.

Which fuse or fuses do you think I might have blown? The big 125 in the engine bay or something else. Pulled fuse on radio it was good. I happen to have a spare 125 if it is needed.

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Battery had a dead cell. Replace with a new dura last gold and it started right up

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
rywegh said:
Battery had a dead cell. Replace with a new dura last gold and it started right up

It is kind of a blessing when a common fault was the cure. You mentally justify the $100+ cost as it was a matter of time and I won't get stranded in a parking lot one day. It's just the stress of the worst case "what if" I blew out more than a fuse and it will cost $400 and two+ days loss of the vehicle. I HATE THAT. lol

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Wex said:
It is kind of a blessing when a common fault was the cure. You mentally justify the $100+ cost as it was a matter of time and I won't get stranded in a parking lot one day. It's just the stress of the worst case "what if" I blew out more than a fuse and it will cost $400 and two+ days loss of the vehicle. I HATE THAT. lol

Still I feel bad that I am thinking I caused it. My wife and I are like a lot of Americans right now and extra cash is not just laying there saying blow me. I tried to do something nice for my wife and just make sure the antenna connection was snug so that she could enjoy listening to the am radio that she likes. And then get kicked back two steps because I screwed up... maybe and maybe not. Have worked with stereos lots of times and puled in and out of dash before and this time I got bit. Of course the battery if original was hitting ten years and might have had the cell going bad anyway and that could have been the reason the AM was getting so much interference.

Starting to think the Trailblazer doesn't want me to work on it as something strange happens every time:raspberry:.

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
What you did would not cause a battery cell to go.

So, are you saying the am static is gone/fixed?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
rywegh said:
Still I feel bad that I am thinking I caused it.
A good battery can't be killed by anything you just did. A weak battery just waiting to roll over and die was MUCH BETTER to die now than in the winter and leave your wife stranded in life-threatening conditions or location. I think everybody here with experience with batteries will agree.
My wife and I are like a lot of Americans right now and extra cash is not just laying there saying blow me.
Hehe. You just said "blow me." hehe. :rotfl:
I tried to do something nice for my wife
You get credit for trying. She should be grateful.
... Of course the battery if original was hitting ten years
That's a critical clue. Even if it's the SECOND battery and it's five years old it was time to budget for a new one. You're gotten a LOT more out of it than it owed you.
Starting to think the Trailblazer doesn't want me to work on it as something strange happens every time:raspberry:.
No, the vehicle wants to challenge you to LEARN more and step up your game. It's how I look on my relationship with any vehicle or electronic system. If I'm confused, I like to eliminate the fog and learn. Strange is good, not bad. On "2 1/2 Men", Charlie was always going out saying he was looking for some "strange." I took that to mean he was going to look for "strange vehicle problems to solve" because that's why I hang out here. Surely he's a troubleshooting geek like us?

:wink:

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Just my self-defeatist attitude. lol.

As for the static, for what I listened to on the AM side after I replaced battery I did not hear it. I know once my wife realizes she can listen to her show, she will be happy.

At least this one happened while I was somewhere I could work on it. I had a 97 Cutlass supreme, the battery went out while I was at graveside funeral of a guy I had worked with. The graveyard was twenty miles from anything. I was sitting there until my dad could make it out there. So I was putting a battery in that car at 8pm in a graveyard.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
the roadie said:
On "2 1/2 Men", Charlie was always going out saying he was looking for some "strange." I took that to mean he was going to look for "strange vehicle problems to solve" because that's why I hang out here. Surely he's a troubleshooting geek like us?

:wink:

Winning! :rotfl:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
rywegh said:
Just my self-defeatist attitude. lol.

As for the static, for what I listened to on the AM side after I replaced battery I did not hear it. I know once my wife realizes she can listen to her show, she will be happy.

At least this one happened while I was somewhere I could work on it. I had a 97 Cutlass supreme, the battery went out while I was at graveside funeral of a guy I had worked with. The graveyard was twenty miles from anything. I was sitting there until my dad could make it out there. So I was putting a battery in that car at 8pm in a graveyard.

Was it a dark and stormy night? :eek:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.