tpms light flashes and stays on!

808trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
My 2007 trailblazer 2wd tpms light is on. Tires have the correct amount of air. Anybody else had this problem? Lmk. Thanks!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sounds like what happens when a sensor dies. Not sure what happens when the battery gets low, but I bet the owner's manual discusses the system. Sorry I don't have TMPS myself, nor has it been discussed much here or on the old site. But there's plenty of folks with newer trucks that have them.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
808trailblazer said:
Thanks Roadie! Nice to see people from the old site!
Virtually EVERYBODY from the old site is here. It wasn't like there was a split OF the membership like a typical forum clique snit. It was a protest by the ENTIRE staff against the way the domain owners were treating the community. Welcome!

Feb 24, 2012
I don't know if the TB has sensors in each wheel, or if it relies on the wheel speed sensor.

If it relies on wheel speed sensors it detects a difference in rotation. 10% difference to trip the TP low. Having different brand or size tires, or extreme wear on a tire can cause this as it's rotating at a different speed.

If it has true pressure sensors in each wheel, 5-6 years is typical for the sensors. New sensors are generally available from tirerack/discout tire direct etc. for not as much as dealerships.

If you have a bad wheel bearing and/or wheel speed sensor (they tend to go together) your ABS may stop working as well.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
There is a sensor in each wheel (not in spare), it is part of the valve stem, schrader valve assembly.

I don't believe there is any repair for the assembly, just replacement.

There was some discussion a site, where I'm a member, I think the cost was around $50, plus installation.

There should be a reset procedure in the owner's manual, give that a try.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
I recently had an issue with the valve stem one of my tires - I was unable to put air in as it kept leaking (08 Trailblazer LS). I took it in to get looked at and they said that the TPMS sensor and stem were rusted several spots due to it being made out of aluminum. It cost me around $90 to replace the sensor and stem for just the one wheel.

Mike

Apr 8, 2012
You can get them on Amazon.com for like $20. I got one for my G2500 Express work van.

There is also a way to re-program them, I had to do it after installing the new stem. I also had an issue where my 'Service TPMS' light came on. I wanna say I turned the key to the "on" position, then you need to go to the front driver side tire and slowly let air out of the valve stem. You'll need to do this for about 5-10 seconds. You should then hear a series of honks from the horn. I think it was 2 quick honks. Once you get the honks for that wheel, move to the passenger front wheel and do the same. After the honks, move to the passenger rear, then to the driver rear. After I did that, the TPMS went back to normal.

I dont know if that helps but, it worked for me.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Just another PIA govt mandated feature for peoplewho can't check their own pressure. As seen by the poster it can cost up to $80-90 a tire to fix . Also they will come on if you get into an area of high radio interference even if you have no problem so you can't even really believe the system . If you have the tires rotated and they don't recalibrate the system the lights will come on , it's no longer just rotate the the tires.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
vipergg said:
Just another PIA govt mandated feature for peoplewho can't check their own pressure. As seen by the poster it can cost up to $80-90 a tire to fix . Also they will come on if you get into an area of high radio interference even if you have no problem so you can't even really believe the system . If you have the tires rotated and they don't recalibrate the system the lights will come on , it's no longer just rotate the the tires.
Hmmmm, have a bad day?

Feb 24, 2012
RayVoy said:
Hmmmm, have a bad day?

I have to agree with vipergg - this is a pain in the ass addition that costs too much money to maintain to be a mandated technology today. The sensors need drastic improvement in reliability and longevity, as well as price, before being required by law.

They are required to be installed, but not required to maintain. I do wish it were easier to disable the system without having lights on the dashboard. It's like the ABS or SRS system - if it isn't working they can't fail you on inspection. Only 'real' safety or emissions will get you a rejection, at least here in MA.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I'm not disagreeing, and you can blame Ford and their 26 psi suggested pressure in the old Explorer.

But, ya know (and, I've edited my post to add this), I can feel that a tire is soft in a car, but not in the truck (a truck tire needs to be very soft before a visual will tell you), it is nice to have a warning if I've picked up a nail, or a screw. When the warning comes on, the tire still has sufficient air to keep the tire from being damaged.

Envoy09

Mar 26, 2012
As RayVoy mentioned, the TPMS helps when u got a puncture & avoids the tire getting damaged. Also, it does not usually malfunction on rotation of tires if not recalibrated. However, if u have a DIC it would show less pressure in the wrong tire.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online

No members online now.