Toyota Corolla.....Tricky Coolant leak.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I keep my vehicles for as long as I can. My commuter car is a 1997 Toyota Corolla. 310 K miles. Burns less than a quart of oil in 5000 miles. Runs like a top. It get 35 MPG highway. Five speed transmission is smooth and fun to drive.

Recently it started losing coolant. Not alot...but noticeable. A few ounces every week. So...I checked all the obvious possibilities. Radiator crimps, Inspected the hoses, water pump, heater hoses, heater core area all dry. No smell of coolant from exhaust upon starting. Did a hydrocarbon test. Blue fluid stayed blue. Checked oil....no chocolate milkshake. At this point I'm stumped. The only place I haven't looked is the front side of the radiator. I undo the clips holding the radiator in place, push it back and separate it away from the A.C. Condenser and look at the front of the radiator. It has been slooooooooly leaking for awhile. Dust has been accumulating in the fins in the area of the leak and absorbing the coolant so it would never show through the back of the radiator or drip to the bottom tank seals.

I have a new radiator arriving on Monday. I'm hoping to get 500 K miles out of this Corolla!

Reactions: christo829 and Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.