Towing Performance Mods

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
I've done a bit of research on the subject and thought that one of the best ideas I saw was to put the aftermarket cooler inline before the factory cooler. The premise being that if the temperature of the trans fluid got too low the heat from the radiator on the factory trans cooler would bring it back into or at least close to the proper temperature range.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
MDBT said:
I've done a bit of research on the subject and thought that one of the best ideas I saw was to put the aftermarket cooler inline before the factory cooler. The premise being that if the temperature of the trans fluid got too low the heat from the radiator on the factory trans cooler would bring it back into or at least close to the proper temperature range.

So your saying its fine to run a aftermarket trans cooler?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Oh yes especially if you are constantly running it at very high temperatures. Red line for tranny is around 275F. 160-170F is pretty typical with standard in the radiator cooling though I have seen it creep up to 190F. Towing a heavy camper I've gone up to 250F. If I was to continue doing that I would add the external tranny cooler. This is one of the reasons I want to completely flush the Voy's tranny.

My Silverado has an external tranny cooler as part of its tow package and after 20 miles of highway driving I'm lucky to see 135F. With the camper it gets up to 160-170. You do want the fluid to heat up enough to cook out any moisture it collects. One site - maybe the OS - had several people say their tranny dipstick rusted through and fell apart.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Mark20 said:
Oh yes especially if you are constantly running it at very high temperatures. Red line for tranny is around 275F. 160-170F is pretty typical with standard in the radiator cooling though I have seen it creep up to 190F. Towing a heavy camper I've gone up to 250F. If I was to continue doing that I would add the external tranny cooler. This is one of the reasons I want to completely flush the Voy's tranny.

My Silverado has an external tranny cooler as part of its tow package and after 20 miles of highway driving I'm lucky to see 135F. With the camper it gets up to 160-170. You do want the fluid to heat up enough to cook out any moisture it collects. One site - maybe the OS - had several people say their tranny dipstick rusted through and fell apart.

What are you taking your tranny temps with? Scanguage?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Scan Gauge on the Envoy. The Silverado has it tranny temp as part of the DIC.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Mark20 said:
Scan Gauge on the Envoy. The Silverado has it tranny temp as part of the DIC.

I got to pick one of those up.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Trying not to hijack the thread, but they are well worth it. They will also read codes.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Mark20 said:
Trying not to hijack the thread, but they are well worth it. They will also read codes.

Yes I am planning on getting one! But all my fluid changes have been putting it off.:hissyfit:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Has anyone installed the transmission cooler from PCM4LESS? I was looking at the stainless braided hose set, looks pretty sweet. I'm all for keeping my tranny temp down, despite my lack of having a trans temp gauge. I've had problems with it overheating before (without towing anything) just because my radiator was leaking a bit, causing some fluid to come out the vent tube.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
Has anyone installed the transmission cooler from PCM4LESS? I was looking at the stainless braided hose set, looks pretty sweet. I'm all for keeping my tranny temp down, despite my lack of having a trans temp gauge. I've had problems with it overheating before (without towing anything) just because my radiator was leaking a bit, causing some fluid to come out the vent tube.

I think alot of SS guys use it. Maybe find some information on SS owners? Sorry, Not much help.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah site is a bit misleading... it says the part is compatible with the I6, but it seems slanted towards SS owners. Either way, both transmissions are very similar so I'm sure there isn't much debate. I'm curious to know where the cooler itself is mounted, like on the firewall or something?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
It will work on ANY GMT360/370/305, that said PCM4Less really built the kit for the SS guys. It works great with the 5.3 and I6 trucks too!

Ive got a black braided brake duct cooler on my SS, really helps keep the trans temps in check when towing my 5000lbs boat.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
Yeah site is a bit misleading... it says the part is compatible with the I6, but it seems slanted towards SS owners. Either way, both transmissions are very similar so I'm sure there isn't much debate. I'm curious to know where the cooler itself is mounted, like on the firewall or something?

No the cooler is mounted right behind the grill on the driver side with a L bracket. I got the rubber hose because I read many complain about the braided hoses being a bitch to route. And some said it scared their radiator, etc etc. And the rubber hoses are not some cheapo autozone heater hose either.
Although the only thing I tow are my jet skis or my fishing boat. I see my tranny going as high of a temp as 200F so I said F it and bought one.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Alright, I'll keep that in mind about the rubber hoses. Those stainless ones look sweet though. Trans temp max of 200 doesn't sound bad, especially when towing? I would think 210-220 is when you should start to worry...?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.