Torque Management?

24v 4.2

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I am looking to buy a pcm tune in the near future, and I do not know what option to choose for towing. I dont intend to tow anything, but would like the option.

What does torque management do, in relation to towing? :confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
"Torque Management" as GM terms it, is really "Baby the drivetrain to reduce our warranty costs in case the owners want access to what we designed in there but don't want them to have."

It really is there to save GM money in case the owner flogs it using wide open throttle a lot and stresses the tranny.

PCMForLess is the right place to ask about the details of what they loosen up for TM options.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
To be fair GM isn't the only one doing this. I think most tend to do it to some degree or another.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Most manufacture's utilize one form of TM or another, it produces a smoother feeling shift and saves the trans during shifts.

If you dont tow, Id remove all of the TM. Honestly Ive been running 0 TM in my 02 I6 for 4+ years now with no issues and Ive towed 5000lbs with this setup. Up to you in the end, but if you dont want to remove all of it Id remove at least 50%, maybe 75%. Shift times and line pressures play just as big a factor in creating a firm, quick shift that doesnt slip but doesnt kill you either. Im pretty happy with how my 02 shifts, so are the other guys running my tunes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online