NEED HELP Torque Convertor Issue

dak

Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
arkansas
Sorry for the long post just wanna get all the info in.

New member here. Heres info on my ride- 06 trailblazer 4wd, 123xxx miles, 3.42 gears, 265/75r16(30.5 dia) tires, PcmofNC tune, Ive owned it 4 years and havent serviced trans; fluid is currently a little dark, occasionally pull 16ft trailer with 2-4 atvs on it. Trans has always shifted good with no issues at all.

Now on to my issue:
Last june i got the pcmofnc tune, shift level 2. Not long after the tune i was pulling my trailer with atvs on it up hills and the rpms started jumping up and down. After researching i found it was more than likely the torque convertor unlocking and locking. Over this past year its only repeated this behavior a handful of times so ive not really been too worried about it. Yesterday we got home from a 1500 mile round trip vacation across arkansas and through the tennessee mountains. Somewhere around 400-500 miles in it started doing it again. Mainly on inclines where the transmission was in overdrive and around 55mph/1400 rpms. At this range with my tire size i can tell there is a good load on the engine. For the rest of the trip it repeated this behavior off and on, i just tried to stay away from loading the engine down.

About 200 miles from home on the interstate it randomly dropped down to 3rd gear and would not shift back to overdrive, my ultragauge also showed a pending code when this happened. I pulled off the road and checked the code: P0894, quick google search said "trans comp slipping". I cleared the code and hit the interstate again, did fine for a couple miles but tc wasnt locking and it would kick down to 3rd and throw the code again. With my ultragauge i am able to clear the code while driving and it would shift back up to 4th. Thats what i ended up doing the 200 miles home. Since it started throwing the code i havent felt the tc lock at all, i even drove it last night after it cooled down. Ive been reading up on this and it seems that a shift kit will fix my problem, what do yall think?

Side note- after it started unlocking during vacation i tried to check the fluid level while warm and running. It was very hard to read the level because there was fluid all over the dipstick, i ended up putting in 1 qt of dex vi. any tips on getting a good reading? thanks to all in advance

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

You might want to cut to the chase...and "START" with viewing a video that will probably indicate where this repair will have to "END". Transmission Repairs require a decent level of Mechanical Skills, some patience...and a willingness to learn and get "very dirty" with the work. Removing this Transmission is in itself...very difficult and so early on...if you begin to believe that you are in over your head... then you are. If it turns out that you have "Balls as Big as Church Bells" and wind up doing all of your own work...it is absolutely imperative that you Reverse Flush your Transmission Cooler and lines...off of the Transmission ports...multiple times and with Good Quality Transmission Flush Liquid before installing either a New or Re-Built Transmission.

The P0894 Code indicates "Transmission Component(s) Slipping" and at about 24 Minutes into the video.... and from 30 Minutes onward... you will see during this viewable Tear-down of the 4L60E Transmission Clutch Packs and Pump Assemblies that it is suffering from the same problem that you are dealing with (The Transmission Fluid Pump Stator Bushing will be seriously worn down on one side... which can allow the Fluid in the Torque Converter to Leak Out... more likely to happen in Transmissions fitted with Babbitt Bushings versus Bronze (Brass) Bushings). You'll get a Bird's Eye View of how involved re-building these units really is and what is or already has probably "gone south" inside your own transmission... and then... You can make an intelligent decision about what to do next:

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
So What's the Question? The fact that your system popped with a P0894...more than once and the fact that the Transmission Fluid Pressure is guided into the In-Dwelling Shaft of the Torque Converter seems intimately related. This additional video is added here for stressing that if the the Stator Bushing becomes Scored, Badly Worn and actually breaks or loses its sealing mechanism between the pumping of the fluid into the TC...and leaks out...then the the TC will NOT be able to hold enough pressure regardless of its centrifugal force to maintain the correct gearing in an at-speed and under-load condition.

As the Engine struggles to deliver on demand enough power to make the make transmission shift into the proper gear or remain so in over-drive...the involved Clutch Packs will bear the brunt of the excessive friction occurring and either wear out or burn up because the just can't quite lock up into their proper gearing for lack of having enough hydraulic pressure from the leaking TC:

Watch this one for the precise relationship between the Bad Bushings and the TC:

Transmission Pump Stator Bushings installed starting at 5:21...

Last edited:

dak

Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
arkansas
another thing that I noticed before this that may or may not be related is that while tc was locked I could lightly press the brake pedal and the tc would not unlock

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could be a TCC solenoid issue. This issue can be fixed with a PWM Eliminator kit, usually included with shift kits. Look on eBay for a code buster shift kit. It might fix your problem.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
another thing that I noticed before this that may or may not be related is that while tc was locked I could lightly press the brake pedal and the tc would not unlock

This article gives information about the method to diagnose Torque Converter Lock-Up issues and has some great illustrations to support understanding what all the "innards" of the TC are doing... Please note that in the Torque Converter Profile Diagram....the PATH OF THE TRANSMISSION FLUID AS A RED LINE... to see why having any wallowed out Torque Converter Pump Stator Bearings may be intimately involved... IF THEY LEAK AND LOSE PRESSURE :

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/203

Last edited:

dak

Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
arkansas
update: after much researching i was pretty adamant that this was not a deep tranny issue. i found a code buster kit on ebay that came with a transgo shift kit, pinless accumulator pistons, separator plate, and a corvette servo. i also bought a pwm solenoid and a lockup solenoid. installed everything this weekend and it works like a champ! nice firm shifts and tcc lockup now feels like another gear

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online