Too Many Consoles

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
So, as you can see, I have an 03 EXT. It has two overhead consoles. The front one has the Homelink, the voice recorder, the window switches for the rear vent windows, and the sunglass holder. Then, about a foot back, it has a second console, twice as big, with...another sunglass holder?

I mean, really, is that it? Or is it supposed to have some other feature, and I'm just missing it? The owner's manual is less than no help.

Thanks...

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I've seen some consoles with a slot for a garage door opener. They have a button in the middle that extends inside the storage compartment, and you are supposed to place your door opener inside the compartment so the external button presses on your door opener's button.

It's also possible someone installed an aftermarket console for additional storage.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Do you have the overhead DVD player? That compartment fits DVD cases well. I have it in my truck.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
This is normal, my 02 has one in the same spot. I usually use it for an extra pair of sunglasses for a passenger. IMO its worthless and Id rather GM never included it, but whatever. My SS has the rear DVD player in that location.

Ive seen them without any consoles in the headliner, Craig (flyingfisher) didnt have any consoles until he fabbed one up.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like you are missing the sunroof. Our trucks have so little usable storage I wouldn't shun an extra console.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
looks like i lucked out, because i dont have any overhead consoles in my SS :yes:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I'd love to have some sort of smartly designed hidden storage area for the dvd player headphones. As it is one set takes up much of the center console and the other set takes up much of the glove box. Since they don't fold flat, they stretch out the leather back-of-the-seat pockets which won't work.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I had that on my 02 LT. they sell these small tissue boxes that fit in there. if you've seen kleenex square top boxes, but like 1/4 of the height. i occasionally see them by the checkout at walmart. they fit in there so perfectly i have to assume that is what it is for. if you get one you will see what i mean. they are pricey and don't hold a lot of tissues, i just go with the left over fast food napkins in my door pocket.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
I had that on my 02 LT. they sell these small tissue boxes that fit in there. if you've seen kleenex square top boxes, but like 1/4 of the height. i occasionally see them by the checkout at walmart. they fit in there so perfectly i have to assume that is what it is for. if you get one you will see what i mean. they are pricey and don't hold a lot of tissues, i just go with the left over fast food napkins in my door pocket.

Yep that's about all you can fit in the door pockets. Wished they bumped out a bit to hold a cup.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I have that, I believe it's for cd/dvd's. I have the dvd player as well but no sunroof. If the kleenex box fits in there that would be nice!

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Most utility type vehicles I've seen include a larger/second console or more robust/larger dvd player if you don't buy the optional sun roof. As much as I can't believe every TV doesn't have a sunroof, there are always downsides to them. Less storage, lower headroom for really tall people and that's the crush spot in a roll over as I have learned first hand.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher