To plasti dip or not? 9-7x

Bscfrank914

Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I want to keep my matte black and silver theme throughout my 9-7, and the more that I look at all the chrome on the truck the more it bothers me. I'm thinking of just plasti dipping any chrome, from the grill to the back. I plasti dipped my wheels and Im very happy with the finished product, however I've been hesitant to bring it through the car wash because of what I read online, the plasti dip peeling off in the wash. 90% of the time I hand wash my cars, but once it starts getting cold out I take it to the wash. Opinions wanted if I should just plasti dip the rest of my chrome, or if there is any alternative to the plasti dip itself.
Thanks all
Frank-

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Do it, if you don't like it you can take it off.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
So I have a 9-7 and I'm thinking the only chrome parts are the tail pipe tip, the front grill, the roof rack and I think that's it unless you have the Altitude package with the shiny rims. What else do you have that is chrome? I actually wish it had more chorme like so many of the newer suv's I see around town.

Bscfrank914

Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Jkust said:
So I have a 9-7 and I'm thinking the only chrome parts are the tail pipe tip, the front grill, the roof rack and I think that's it unless you have the Altitude package with the shiny rims. What else do you have that is chrome? I actually wish it had more chorme like so many of the newer suv's I see around town.

Well the front grill is "trimmed" with some chrome. I don't have the altitude package but i already dipped my wheels. I also took my stupid resonator off and replaced it with a straight pipe so I can put a bigger tip on it. I also have running boards that have chrome. My roof rack obviously does too, and the "badges" of the truck are also in chrome. The last thing would be that chrome piece right above the license plate. I like the look of the silver and matte black throughout the truck.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i say go for it... if you dont like it, peel it off.. the joys of dipping :yes:

as for the chrome tailpipe, i wouldnt do that.. i dont know if you were debating that.. but i dont think plasti dip can hold up to the heat..

Melaronius

Aug 22, 2012
The manufacturer lists the upper limit as 200 F, but I'm not sure how hot a tailpipe gets. I don't think I'd do it.

Bscfrank914

Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
jrSS said:
Well I say do the tail pipe and let us know how it turns out. :tongue:

Lol. I think im going to just buy a matte black tip because plasti dipping the straight pipe would look horrible. I'm going to wait for Hurricane Sandy to pass by, then hopefully attempt it this upcoming saturday.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
http://gmtnation.com/f33/plasti-dip-guide-wheels-2129/
Still going on first spray.
3dcac0e4.jpg

Melaronius

Aug 22, 2012
Bscfrank914 said:
[SUB][/SUB]

Im scared of peeling my plastidip off after I spray my badging. Did you have any problems peeling it?

It peels very easily once you get it started. The more coats you put on, the easier it peels.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
One base like in my tutorial and 1 intermediate and 1 finishing. 3 coats

just hit an arear with excessive friction aka your finger and it will start to peel.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Bscfrank914 said:
Well the front grill is "trimmed" with some chrome. I don't have the altitude package but i already dipped my wheels. I also took my stupid resonator off and replaced it with a straight pipe so I can put a bigger tip on it. I also have running boards that have chrome. My roof rack obviously does too, and the "badges" of the truck are also in chrome. The last thing would be that chrome piece right above the license plate. I like the look of the silver and matte black throughout the truck.

Well i've got those same Running boards on my wife's Rainier and I suppose you could plasti dip the chrome accents but i've got to think they get beat by rocks and debris given their proximity to the wheels and road especially the front chrome accent piece. Also just getting in and out of the truck, your shoes I've gotta think will wear that stuff off as well. I say try spraying the tip too. I mean it's welded on there and so i'd at least try it and see how it goes. I forgot about the chrome piece on the hatch but that doesn't seem too much to tape off and spray down. I'm thinking the most difficult thing to spray would be the roof rack just because it'd take a lot of product.
You must have been mistreated by chrome in a past life to dislike it so much.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree: but you could trade them to someone who wants the chrome + make a little $$$ on them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online