To amp or not to amp?

noxious1

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I know another post about my install. as most have read I am installing Polk DB6501 and the DB651 speakers in my doors. Just looking for opinions should I add an amp to them or not. I am running a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD head unit 50wattx4 built in mosfet amp.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Absolutely! Running the 6501s off the deck will give them around 25% of their rated power. The specs for the decks amplifier say Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD). Having more power on hand will really wake them up.

But, there's no way to tell what will sound better to you. You might hook them up to the deck and be satisfied. There's only one way to find out for sure.:cool:

noxious1

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I was afraid of that. I guess I was just hoping someone would say that everything will sound great without the amp. Oh well I guess I will order the new amp. On the 4 channel amp I guess I run my output from 2 of the channels of the amp to the input on the crossovers and then just run my speaker wires from the crossovers to the speakers.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
noxious1 said:
I was afraid of that. I guess I was just hoping someone would say that everything will sound great without the amp.

Give it some time, I'm sure someone will chime in that they're happy with their aftermarket deck/speaker setup without an amp.:yes:

noxious1 said:
On the 4 channel amp I guess I run my output from 2 of the channels of the amp to the input on the crossovers and then just run my speaker wires from the crossovers to the speakers.

Yup you got it. One thing that I learned the hard way was to keep the crossovers accessible until after everything is dialed in. The crossovers have a selectable tweeter setting (0dB, -3dB, or +3dB) and nothing sucks more then having to take stuff apart if a change is wanted (or needed).

noxious1

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
I hooked up one of the drivers on the deck and it sounded like crap. I ordered the amp a few minutes ago. Hopefully it will get here by Saturday. I went with the Cerwin Vega 500.4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online