Tires

Yacdogg

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
well I was going to get tires, (before I take my ride in monday, for upper/lower ball joints, inner and outer tie-rods, and front and rear blitzens) well I call today to have place get General Grabber AT2's in 255/65-17 but nope, on back order nationally, so going with Cooper Discoverer AT3. anyone have the AT3's and/or opinions ? the Michilen LE2 that people recommend alittle out of my range right now, so no need to mention them. for sure looking for 255/65-17 (also ordered tuned pcm and had them tune for that size.

Dec 4, 2011
Yacdogg said:
well I was going to get tires, (before I take my ride in monday, for upper/lower ball joints, inner and outer tie-rods, and front and rear blitzens) well I call today to have place get General Grabber AT2's in 255/65-17 but nope, on back order nationally, so going with Cooper Discoverer AT3. anyone have the AT3's and/or opinions ? the Michilen LE2 that people recommend alittle out of my range right now, so no need to mention them. for sure looking for 255/65-17 (also ordered tuned pcm and had them tune for that size.

Always had good luck with Cooper's. They have a great combination of price, performance and longevity. Don't have any AT3's but my Son-in-law does and his Pathfinder works real nice in all types of weather. I am waiting for Discover CTS's to come on sale then I will spring for a set. Cooper usually puts a 50.00 off coupon out around this time of year. I will probably do the on line thing with Discount Tire or Tread Depot. Hope this helps.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Why the 255/65? Just curious...looks or the fact the Michelin's only come in a plus size for the LE2?? Do you mean the MS2? The Continental Cross Contact LX-20 in the stock size is an awesome tire,I can attest to that and the price is good.

Just opinions, other than that I have no input on the Coopers. Just food for thought.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
gmcman said:
Why the 255/65? Just curious...looks or the fact the Michelin's only come in a plus size for the LE2?? Do you mean the MS2? The Continental Cross Contact LX-20 in the stock size is an awesome tire,I can attest to that and the price is good.

Just opinions, other than that I have no input on the Coopers. Just food for thought.

I second the Continental Cross Contacts LX-20. I'm on my second set and I love them. They handle way better than the OEM tires, lasted a lot longer and more grip in the rain.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Orginally bought the truck with Good Year Fortera HL 245/60 R18, then bought Michelin Latitude Tour 245/60 R18, and now I am using Copper LSX Plus 245/60R18. I have had them since July 2012 and have to say Cooper has been the best tire out of the other two brands I have used. I did not have any issues with snow or ice this year. The LSX does have a more aggessive tread pattern than the Fortera or LT. I do a lot of highway driving and there is barely any road noise. I got a good deal on the Coopers, buy 3 get 1 free. Plus a $50.00 gift card.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
At3 are a great tire! You won't be disappointed.

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
I got a set of Cooper AT3's in 255/65/17 last fall and so far they've been great. You don't say what kind of driving or off roading you want them for so it's hard to say if they're right for you. I use them on my DD so on road performance is important to me. I find them quiet and have good wet and dry traction. Off roading is basically getting to and from hunting/fishing/camping areas and I tend to go around obstacles rather than over them. I've used them on wet, dirt logging roads and thru 8'' snow with no problems. Haven't had a chance to try them in sand yet. If you do more serious off roading you might want a more aggressive tread.

Yacdogg

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Short Bus said:
If you step on up to 265?65/17 you can get the General Grabber AT2 :yes:

General*Grabber AT 2

I was going to go with the General Grabbers, they have them in 255/65-17 also, but they are on national backorder, and I can't wait much longer for tires, ball joint is bad, and tires are tore up, not much more life left on them at all. and I'm getting my suspension done Tuesday, so getting tires before that.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
How concerned are you with fuel mileage for your tire purchase? Going to a plus size along with a slightly agressive tread will likely net you at least 1 to 3 mpg loss. Just food for thought.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Yacdogg said:
I was going to go with the General Grabbers, they have them in 255/65-17 also, but they are on national backorder, and I can't wait much longer for tires, ball joint is bad, and tires are tore up, not much more life left on them at all. and I'm getting my suspension done Tuesday, so getting tires before that.

Tire Rack shows them in stock for 265/65s just some sizes could be on back order.

Yacdogg

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Short Bus said:
Tire Rack shows them in stock for 265/65s just some sizes could be on back order.

with 265/65's AT2's, with the aggressive tread, might be pushing it, since I don't have wheel spacers

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Yacdogg said:
with 265/65's AT2's, with the aggressive tread, might be pushing it, since I don't have wheel spacers

Do you have a grinder?

Yacdogg

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
gmcman said:
How concerned are you with fuel mileage for your tire purchase? Going to a plus size along with a slightly agressive tread will likely net you at least 1 to 3 mpg loss. Just food for thought.

well I also got a tune from pcm4less, and already have cat-back exhaust, so should even it out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online

No members online now.