Tires wearing fast, Alignment Issue?

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I purchased a new set of 4 tires back at the end of September from STS Tires, and believe I had an alignment issue beforehand. I remember asking for an alignment, and was pretty sure they did one (or claimed to). I cannot find the receipt to verify that they did one or billed me for it at least.

Fast forward to now, 5 months and under 3k miles later, and my 2 front tires look like this:

428030_433321059990_500429990_1449599_1463901984_n.jpg

Thoughts??

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
my first guess would definetly leans towards an alignment issue.. are both side equal (driver/passanger tire).. looks like the toe is off...

do places by you do free tests/diagnostics on the alignment machines?

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Boricua SS said:
my first guess would definetly leans towards an alignment issue.. are both side equal (driver/passanger tire).. looks like the toe is off...

do places by you do free tests/diagnostics on the alignment machines?

I thought it is most likely an alignment issue, just pissed if so, since SUPPOSEDLY the tire shop did an alignment with the new tires only 5 months ago....

Not sure about the free alignment diagnostics, I will certainly check it out though. Hope there is some warranty either on the tires or the work performed, I can't drop another couple hundred dollars on replacing THESE replacement tires, which I may have to replace anyway due to the wear. Just my luck, there goes my tax refund....

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
:iagree: Most likely an alignment issue. If inner and outer edges of the same tire were worn it could be underinflation, but your inner edge looks ok.

If they did an alignment 5 months ago, either they didn't do it right (you should get a before/after report), something you'd probably remember knocked it out, or something like control arm bushings are seriously worn and they should have looked for that before doing an alignment.

You can probably call and ask what their records show.

You didn't happen to install a lift kit after the alignment? That would throw the toe way off and ride on the outer edge like that.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
So, after doing some fishing around, on the website for STS Tires:

Auto Service Warranty

ALIGNMENT

90 days or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Of course I got this done at the end of September, so 5 months, the 90 days is long gone...

*EXCLUSIONS

This warranty does not cover tires or batteries which have specific warranties. All service warranties exclude special ordered, non-stock products.

So unless the specific tires I bought have their own warranty, I am pretty much boned....:hissyfit:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Could be bad tie rods or ball joints. Wiggle tire up and down and have looseness its ball joint. Do the same left to right it's a bad tie rod. That'll definately cause tire wear. Or get another alignment done. But yes sounds like an alignment issue.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I dont know.. I think you could raise a stink with STS about getting it checked out under warrenty. Soemthing obviously is not right. You dont have the mileage, or time, for the tires to be that work out. They look like my tires, after 25k miles. Something aint right...

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I would call them and have them check their records on the alignment.
If there are no records of the alignment and you don't have a receipt and you don't remember for sure you paid for an alignment I expect you are out of luck.
Can you find a cancelled check or CC statement to see how much you paid?

Usually when folks do an alignment if any parts are worn out they can see that and will let you know.

Either way pretty soon I would get an alignment and rotate those tires to the rear.

crash2e

Dec 5, 2011
My immediate thought is ball joints. I know this from my own personal experience. Bought new tires in September 2010, bald as a could be by April 2011 on the inside edges only. Had to replace both ball joints, and replace the rubber.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I showed the pic of ur tire wear to the guy that did my alignment. He said that your toe (if that's the right spelling) is off. Either needs aligned or new tie rods. But you'll have to see by getting the front in the air and see if your wheel has play side to side. Good luck.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
crash2e said:
My immediate thought is ball joints. I know this from my own personal experience. Bought new tires in September 2010, bald as a could be by April 2011 on the inside edges only. Had to replace both ball joints, and replace the rubber.

silvernclean said:
I showed the pic of ur tire wear to the guy that did my alignment. He said that your toe (if that's the right spelling) is off. Either needs aligned or new tie rods. But you'll have to see by getting the front in the air and see if your wheel has play side to side. Good luck.

Thank you everyone for your research and input!! I am so grateful for the resources we have on these forums!! Its looking like I am going to have to bite the bullet and use my tax refund which I had slated for other things, for these repairs and new tires..... again.... FML....

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Took truck to the tire shop yesterday, here was the alignment beforehand:

428759_441069304990_500429990_1463701_499729494_n.jpg

Brand new tires and alignment later (free, guessing warranteed):

416983_440631099990_500429990_1463316_375406737_n.jpg

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't think I've ever seen toe-in so far out. That probably cost you a couple of MPG as well as the destroyed tires. Typically a vehicle that far out would change its aiming point in the highway depending on which tire had more weight on it! I've felt that way after a tie rod broke on the trail, and I had to install it by eye and using a straightedge (HiLift jack handle) for a field alignment.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
the roadie said:
I don't think I've ever seen toe-in so far out. That probably cost you a couple of MPG as well as the destroyed tires. Typically a vehicle that far out would change its aiming point in the highway depending on which tire had more weight on it!

Yea, I am sure it did cost me some MPG... The saddest part is I did not notice it handling any worse/differently. No pull to either direction, or anything of the sort. I just happened to notice the tire wear by chance!

I am just glad I did, and that it got rectified (better yet, that I didn't have to pay anything additional for it)!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online