Tire Inflation how many lbs ?

DIF

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
I usually run the recommended tires pressures, give or take a a few lbs depending on the Brand of tire etc.
But can't remember ever seeing such a big difference between recommended front and rear pressure.
Recommended tire pressures for my 07 Envoy is 30 lbs Front, 35 lbs Rear.
What's everyone running for tire pressures?
Thoughts and opinions :smile:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I run 35 front and 40 rear. Like the way it handles a little better, slightly better mpg, and tire wear is even. Maybe putting a little extra strain on suspension components but I'll live with it.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I run 40psi all round...better tire wear.

There is a discussion here somewhere that it was talked about at length. IIRC, 90% of max inflation was the number to run, in my case, that would be 39.6psi, so 40 is easier.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Just nobody mention nitrogen and we'll all stay friends. :rotfl:

I have load range E 33" offroad MT tread, and I run 50 on pavement and 16 offroad. But offroaders are a sort of special case when they're not daily drivers.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
My $.02 for the Dakota (working on the TB really soon!), door says to run 36 front and 41 rear. Best gas mileage by far. Tire center told me 34 psi all around.

So to answer your question. YES, there can be that big of a difference. Put it where you want to, I guess. Ride, feel, mpg, speed, traction, oh the options :crazy:

and no nitro :eek:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Just get the econo 78% nitrogen blend that most of us run. :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My sticker says 30/32. I run 35 all around and have gotten exceptional wear out of my tires. They are rated at 50k, have 48k, and there is still meat left on them. Good thing as I've needed that traction a few times already this winter.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
I run 26-28±PSI on all fours. I only drive street and i drive like i stole it. Iv noticed at 35psi i tend to slide...

DIF

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks everyone, I know it's not Rocket Science :wink: and was more curious than anything seeing the recommended F30-R35 for the first time.
The tires which are Good Year Fortera HL Edition, are/have been 37 lbs Front and Rear since I got it and that seems good so far.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
My '95 Suburban called for 32 front, 41 rear. The reason is because the rear would bear the weight of cargo or a trailer tongue. Depending on the tire brand, I generally just follow the recommended pressure on the door sticker and always get the expected mileage out of my tires as well as MPG. My current TB tires are Firestone Destination LEs. I have to keep 3 psi over the recommended pressure, 33 front, 38 rear.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Just to be different, the 9-7 door sticker indicates 32 all around which is where I run.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
I run 26-28±PSI on all fours. I only drive street and i drive like i stole it. Iv noticed at 35psi i tend to slide...

You wouldn't slide if you had a 2006 EXT with stability control.:biggrin:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The door sticker for my '03 Envoy (SWB) also calls for 32 lbs. front and rear for the original Michelin Cross-Terrains.
My new General Grabber HT's have a higher allowable max (44 lbs.) and I keep these at 38 lbs.

Mjpfm

Dec 28, 2012
:smile:i run about 38-40 psi.
i run it on all my toys, 87 monte, 93 bonnie, 96 sunfire, 07 trailbrazer
thanks

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I run what the door jam sticker says. 30 ft 35 rr. 35 ft 35 or 40 rr is just too bumpy of a ride for me.

I used to over inflate my tires on my previous GMC Canyon but I had a hard time keeping them balanced correctly. The center tread also wore out quicker. Because of that I now always stick with what it says on the door jam. Michelin Cross Terrains only have a 35 lb max cold inflation pressure.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
DIF said:
Thanks everyone, I know it's not Rocket Science :wink: and was more curious than anything seeing the recommended F30-R35 for the first time.
The tires which are Good Year Fortera HL Edition, are/have been 37 lbs Front and Rear since I got it and that seems good so far.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Same tires, we run them at 32 front/35 rear, so far 10,000 miles and no unusual wear noted :thumbsup: Although we have our Nokian Nordman snow tires on the truck at the moment...

The reason for the lower pressure on the fronts has to do with vehicle dynamics, IIRC. The truck can oversteer if the tire pressure is the same front to rear. I vaguely recall one of the original vehicle engineers on the old site saying that...

I don't put 30 in the front, because that just seems WAY to low for any vehicle, let alone a truck with relatively large tires...:wink: In my mind, Ford Explorers with tires blowing out on the freeway are always in the back of my mind.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
I was running 38 in the front and 35 in the back, but lowered it to 35 front 32 back. They hold a little better on wet roads now . I put more in the front because the front has more weight . If I have a load I ad some in the back.

Try putting 30 psi all around and stand back and look at the tires ,the front will have more of a flat spot or low spot than the rear.I try to even them out.

:twocents::twocents::twocents:

DIF

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
ElAviator72 said:
Same tires, we run them at 32 front/35 rear, so far 10,000 miles and no unusual wear noted :thumbsup: Although we have our Nokian Nordman snow tires on the truck at the moment...

The reason for the lower pressure on the fronts has to do with vehicle dynamics, IIRC
. The truck can oversteer if the tire pressure is the same front to rear. I vaguely recall one of the original vehicle engineers on the old site saying that...

I don't put 30 in the front, because that just seems WAY to low for any vehicle, let alone a truck with relatively large tires...:wink: In my mind, Ford Explorers with tires blowing out on the freeway are always in the back of my mind.

I've been running them at those pressures now :smile: 32 front/35 rear, to see what difference it make compared to 37 all around when I first bought it.
Only thing is, all week we've had variation in outside temperatures.
Anywhere from 10 degrees to 40 degrees every other day so it hard to tell what's really going on and what difference it makes :confused:
As far as the vehicle dynamics, that's why I asked the question in the first place.
The engineers usually have reasons for their recommendations :yes:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
My problem with the door ratings is that it only says the size tire for which that rating should be used. It does not account for different manufacturing processes and tire types. I guess as an overall average number for the people who just drive the vehicle it should be fine. However I want the best of tire performance and economy both fuel and life of tire. Driving with different pressures is a good way to determine what works for you. I started using the chalk method after I bought my new tires. Which brings another point, my new tires are E-rated and with 40PSI they had looked noticeably low. After calling General and chalking the tires, 62 PSI seemed to be a good spot for even wear. I will of course bump it up when towing (if needed) and I am willing to go as low as 30 for winter driving.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Granted. The OP is just asking what people are running their stock tires at. I am sure if he was off roading and using a LT tire then he would have done his homework and came up with answers like blazinlow89.

The tire pressure question is pretty much a non issue for most people. Manufacturers match the type of tire (in our case a P metric at 35 psi) with the max load, axle and suspension rating along with the towing ability (engine torque and hp). The standard tire equipped with our vehicles is often more than enough tire. For normal use one should stick with the same type and rated tire and use the door jam psi. It's a carefully contrived number offering a balance of safety, ride comfort and braking ability.

DIF

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Just wanted to post more info for what it's worth.
I previously posted that I changed the Front tires PSI to 32 and Rears to 35 and since then I have done a lot more driving.
Very Noticeable Improvement in the way the Envoy handles and rides :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional

Members Online