Tinted Envoy Tails

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Since theres not really any options besides Ascender tails, i had my body shop hit em with a light coat of black, and then a bunch of clear. They aren't wet sanded or buffed yet, but they look WAY better than that crappy flat black AutoZone tint crap. Plus i kept the reverse light and the red reflector above it untinted, that way i'm still legal :thumbsup: Here's a couple pics.
2zi99oi.jpg

35b6y6u.jpg

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
cxkali said:
that looks great man i need to do my tail lights the same way

Thanx man, i thought about doin ascender tails, but if i tinted em then they got kind of a funky shape, so i decided to stick with the envoy tails.

cxkali

Jan 20, 2012
yea the only thing thats been done to my envoy is the grille has been replaced by the PO looking to make it mine now.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
GotAir? said:
Since theres not really any options besides Ascender tails, i had my body shop hit em with a light coat of black, and then a bunch of clear. They aren't wet sanded or buffed yet, but they look WAY better than that crappy flat black AutoZone tint crap. Plus i kept the reverse light and the red reflector above it untinted, that way i'm still legal :thumbsup: Here's a couple pics.

If you use nite-shades you just need to add a lot of clear, wet sand and polish for that smooth shiny glass look.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Those look really good! :thumbsup: It is certainly an improvement over our ugly tail lights.

I went the night shade route with mine, they need to be sanded down and re-done this spring.

bagdvoy

Nov 19, 2011
Reverse lights, what are those :undecided:

316.jpg

DSC_1039.jpg

(Dont worry about that little sticker on the bottom left of the window, it's been long gone:biggrin:)

And what's this legal crap :raspberry:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GotAir? said:

Why would you leave that untinted? It looks goofy with no tint there trust me!! I would tint that part also and its not illegal to tint that part!!! Only the red part! you will be fine :thumbsup:

That tail lights look just awesome and shiny!! Great job with them :yes:

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Why would you leave that untinted? It looks goofy with no tint there trust me!! I would tint that part also and its not illegal to tint that part!!! Only the red part! you will be fine :thumbsup:

That tail lights look just awesome and shiny!! Great job with them :yes:

Because i wanna be able to see when i back up, lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
GotAir? said:

Sounds like a good reason to pop some LEDs in those bad boys to me!! :yes:

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Sounds like a good reason to pop some LEDs in those bad boys to me!! :yes:

Lol ya but even tinted with expensive ass led bulbs its not bright. My brother has a TBSS with tinted tails and he bought the really expensive reverse lights from VLED's and still cant see anything in reverse, thats the only reason i didnt tint them

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GotAir? said:

Lol just do the red part!! Not the whole reverse light. Here is mine and I also have LED's in the reverse! Does make a difference :yes:

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 12

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
GotAir? said:
Lol ya but even tinted with expensive ass led bulbs its not bright. My brother has a TBSS with tinted tails and he bought the really expensive reverse lights from VLED's and still cant see anything in reverse, thats the only reason i didnt tint them

For the bulbs that I've compared, V-LEDs has always been the most expensive. Plus I've found expensive doesn't always mean better. :nono: I'm partial to the spider lights, but others have found some pretty bright ones that are formatted differently. Of course, you don't have to tint the reverse part very dark either. :twocents:

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Lol just do the red part!! Not the whole reverse light. Here is mine and I also have LED's in the reverse! Does make a difference :yes:

That looks cool, and id prefer to do it thay way, but if i keep the red reflector then im still legal, and my truck already screams "pull me over" so i dont wanna give the asshole small town cops extra reasons to pull me over

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
bagdvoy said:
Reverse lights, what are those :undecided:

If you rewire a little bit you would have reverse lights from the Ascender tails :yes:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
GotAir? said:
That looks cool, and id prefer to do it thay way, but if i keep the red reflector then im still legal, and my truck already screams "pull me over" so i dont wanna give the asshole small town cops extra reasons to pull me over

Remove the lights all together and replace them with 5" farm lights. They fit perfectly, provide a lot of light, and look like they belong there which means that you won't get hassled by Popo's.

PA310240.jpg

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Regulator said:
Remove the lights all together and replace them with 5" farm lights. They fit perfectly, provide a lot of light, and look like they belong there which means that you won't get hassled by Popo's.

PA310240.jpg

I will get hassled by cops cause i need the red reflector since my tails are tinted

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GotAir? said:

I understand where your coming from but you are already in the illegal zone once you tinted your tails!! But your tails are not that dark (there like mine) so you wont have a problem for the most part. They just want to see red from 500ft behind the car. But if you tint the reflectors it will not make a difference in the cops eyes! I mean the brake light is where he will look vs a reflector! They wont even know there was a reflector there...it kind of hides in a way once you tint them!

GotAir? said:
I will get hassled by cops cause i need the red reflector since my tails are tinted

Why do you think you need the reflectors? I mean it is up to you but I am just letting you know that you will be fine and you might as well tint them also! your tails are tinted so might as well on the way! up to you man!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Get a reflector to put into the hitch receiver, that way you are still legal on the road but able to clean up the rear a bit more for shows.

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I understand where your coming from but you are already in the illegal zone once you tinted your tails!! But your tails are not that dark (there like mine) so you wont have a problem for the most part. They just want to see red from 500ft behind the car. But if you tint the reflectors it will not make a difference in the cops eyes! I mean the brake light is where he will look vs a reflector! They wont even know there was a reflector there...it kind of hides in a way once you tint them!

Why do you think you need the reflectors? I mean it is up to you but I am just letting you know that you will be fine and you might as well tint them also! your tails are tinted so might as well on the way! up to you man!

Thats why i dont go on forums very much.....everybody always likes to "know" more than me and seem to have a better opinion than me as far as what i wanna do to MY truck. Ive been in the custom car scene since i could drive and ive been pulled over tons of times for all kinds of stupid shit. Including tinted taillights on previous cars and the cops dont really care if their tinted as long is there a red reflector facing rearward. My brotherhas a tbss and hes also been pulled over and the cops said if he DIDNT have his bumper reflectors tinted then he would NOT have pulled us over. Let me quote you when u say i wont have a problem "for the most part". Have u seen my truck? If it was mostly stock then i prolly would be fine and wouldnt have problems with cops......but look at it, if they can find a reason to pull me over, then they will......

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
GotAir? said:
Thats why i dont go on forums very much.....everybody always likes to "know" more than me and seem to have a better opinion than me as far as what i wanna do to MY truck. Ive been in the custom car scene since i could drive and ive been pulled over tons of times for all kinds of stupid shit. Including tinted taillights on previous cars and the cops dont really care if their tinted as long is there a red reflector facing rearward. My brotherhas a tbss and hes also been pulled over and the cops said if he DIDNT have his bumper reflectors tinted then he would NOT have pulled us over. Let me quote you when u say i wont have a problem "for the most part".

Damn dude, sorry didn't mean to offend.

GotAir? said:
Have u seen my truck? If it was mostly stock then i prolly would be fine and wouldnt have problems with cops......but look at it, if they can find a reason to pull me over, then they will......

Ya, your right. Just because your truck is highly modified that is why they are always trying to pull you over!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Regulator said:
Damn dude, sorry didn't mean to offend.

Ya, your right. Just because your truck is highly modified that is why they are always trying to pull you over!

Yeah same here!! Just trying to help is all! But its like I said, its all up to you so you do what needs to get done! :yes:

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Its all good, i respect everyones opinion, and appreciate all the input, i just dont like it when people argue with me when i know im right. Ive been around the block when it comes to this shit, and anyone can think their am expert behind a keyboard...thats why i try to avoid most forums....

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GotAir? said:
Its all good, i respect everyones opinion, and appreciate all the input, i just dont like it when people argue with me when i know im right. Ive been around the block when it comes to this shit, and anyone can think their am expert behind a keyboard...thats why i try to avoid most forums....

Only reason I am saying you'll be fine is because I live in MI as well and know the laws here for the most part but every city changes and I understand!

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Only reason I am saying you'll be fine is because I live in MI as well and know the laws here for the most part but every city changes and I understand!

My friend got a fixit ticket in detroit for tinted tails on his mustang and got it signed off by putting a little red reflective sticker on the taillight. My brother with the TBSS got pulled over in clio for his lights, and i live in saginaw and live next door to a state police supervisor. Man, why does it need to take this much effort for a stupid little argument about tinted tails.......damn....

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GotAir? said:
My friend got a fixit ticket in detroit for tinted tails on his mustang and got it signed off by putting a little red reflective sticker on the taillight. My brother with the TBSS got pulled over in clio for his lights, and i live in saginaw and live next door to a state police supervisor. Man, why does it need to take this much effort for a stupid little argument about tinted tails.......damn....

I think the state cops are the worst when it comes to things like that!! But the taillights look good man! Perfect gloss and shade of darkness :thumbsup:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
silvernclean said:
Hey regulator go witht the red vht this time....

I missed this earlier. I don't think that the red would work out to well on my blacked out truck. :raspberry:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Lol. I am gonna do mine in black come spring.....just wanted to hear a smart ass comment. Hehe:biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
Lol. I am gonna do mine in black come spring.....just wanted to hear a smart ass comment. Hehe:biggrin:

haha Ill be waiting to give you my comment :wink::raspberry: :rotfl:

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Regulator said:

PA310240.jpg

Do you have a link for where I can buy those farm lights? How easy were they to install?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Pittdawg said:
Do you have a link for where I can buy those farm lights? How easy were they to install?

I got them at Tractor Supply Store. They are available at almost any auto parts store, measure yours to verify the size though. I am not sure if it is 4 or 5 inches.

To install all you need to do is cut out the framework for your old reverse lights and then JB Weld the new lights in place once you get them angled the way you want them.

cuban05

Jun 9, 2013
Regulator said:

PA310240.jpg

is that a work bench inside ur envoy? handy :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online