"Tinny" noise while running and after shutoff? (Video)

Nimunik

Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
We have a tinny noise that can be heard over the engine that continues after the engine shuts off. I though it was due to a worn out idler pulley so I replaced that but the sound remains. It quiets down somewhat when the AC is turned off but not completely. I am posting a video to show what it sounds like during running and as the engine is turned off.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

GS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ctw...fw-kwKEE-BDB3Q

Nimunik

Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Is there more than one idelr pulley? I replaced the one and replaced the water pump a few weeks ago. The wheel on the idler pulley has that same pitched sound when I tapped on the old one so I figured that was the culprit but the I'm still hearing the same sound even with the new one.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Also while you have the belt off start it and make sure that the noise is gone so that you'll know it's for sure something belt driven. It'd suck to go replacing things and that not be what it is.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Yes, I would also suggest the belt trick.

The tensioner CAN be affected by the A/C. The whole idea behind it is that over the years as the belt becomes permanently stretched longer and longer, it will maintain the proper grip around the pulleys. But with heavy loads, a belt can temporarily stretch too! It may return to its former shape for the most part or completely, but it can cause a bit of "fake" stretch.

One interesting experiment is to observe the tensioner while someone turns the steering wheel, or turns the A/C on. You might get a pretty noticeable movement in it. Even without this, you'll sometimes notice very slight up and down movements just as the engine idles.

Source: At a warehouse I worked at, some of the high-speed belts had pneumatic tensioners instead of fixed ones, you could really see the movement. Also in a ~400 long strands of chain fashioned in a loop with aluminum slats connecting them, when the drive was coming up to speed you could see a lot of slack in the catenary from load stretch until it evened out when the drive achieved speed.

Though I am confused about why it still happens after shutoff. How long after?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online