Time For New Water Pump?

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Time for a new water pump I am pretty sure of... however, what's the deal with the two water pumps Rock Auto offers... I am leaning toward the more expensive one, but would like some feedback from those that have used either of these pumps... I'm also getting a vibration, worst when in "D" ... it's still present when in "N" like at a red light but not as bad... first things first which is this, which is obvious... I take it, our trucks came out the factory with the Steel Impeller pump, right?

AC Delco Cast Iron Impeller # 252822 - $36.79

AC Delco Stamped Steel Impeller # 251731 - $79.79

[video=youtube_share;FCXXsqsJGJ8]http://youtu.be/FCXXsqsJGJ8[/video]

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Alright, my problem has escalated, or so I just noticed it did... Overflow Reservoir was "EMPTY" looked at engine bay after shutting the engine off and saw a little bit of steam, barely noticeable... checked it out and there is actually a leak at the pump, but it's so small it doesn't leave a trace of coolant on the ground, so I never caught it... who knows how long it's been like that... well I need some of your opinions on water pumps which I can pick up locally...

Such as from

OREILLY,

NAPA AUTO PARTS,

OR

AUTOZONE...

I'm leaning toward Napa... $48 brand new, cast aluminum P/N - TFW 41122

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
My only thought is you need to change it out.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
You might want to do the thermostat, sensor, and perhaps the fan clutch, while you are at it. (and have to change out the coolant)

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
meerschm said:
You might want to do the thermostat, sensor, and perhaps the fan clutch, while you are at it. (and have to change out the coolant)

the t-stat and sensor, I replaced in January because of emissions testing and a P0128 coolant code... the clutch I'm not going to worry about right now, I think it was replaced in 2009 under warranty, can't remember... I think I will go with AcDelco.... order it later on today, won't get it till the end of next week because of New Years.. Dealer prices are a joke..

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
KNBlazer said:
the t-stat and sensor, I replaced in January because of emissions testing and a P0128 coolant code... the clutch I'm not going to worry about right now, I think it was replaced in 2009 under warranty, can't remember... I think I will go with AcDelco.... order it later on today, won't get it till the end of next week because of New Years.. Dealer prices are a joke..

on the bright side, that will give you some time to review a few posts on how to remove the fan clutch to get to the water pump :smile:

you could even get started before the water pump gets there. you sure don't want to drive it much if at all.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
meerschm said:
on the bright side, that will give you some time to review a few posts on how to remove the fan clutch to get to the water pump :smile:

you could even get started before the water pump gets there. you sure don't want to drive it much if at all.

already past that, I am going with the chain method... I have a large adjustable wrench... Now I am deliberating between cast and stamped... getting mixed responses using google..

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
I've wondered the stamped steel vs cast iron choice too. If you check out AC Delco's online catalog and input your vehicle's VIN the OE water pump is listed as 251-731. Amazon's price is $70. The picture suggests it's a stamped steel impellar. There's also listed a "Professional" unit, 252-822. Amazon's price is $36 BUT it also looks like a stamped steel impellar. There's a couple positive reviews on the cheaper unit. One cautioned it came with a paper gasket and he had bought a gasket not knowing it came with one. The purchased gasket was steel. It is confusing why the large price difference.
The ACD catalog link I used is: ACDelco Parts
I'd be interested in knowing the country of origin of the two units!

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
AbsoluteZero said:
I've wondered the stamped steel vs cast iron choice too. If you check out AC Delco's online catalog and input your vehicle's VIN the OE water pump is listed as 251-731. Amazon's price is $70. The picture suggests it's a stamped steel impellar. There's also listed a "Professional" unit, 252-822. Amazon's price is $36 BUT it also looks like a stamped steel impellar. There's a couple positive reviews on the cheaper unit. One cautioned it came with a paper gasket and he had bought a gasket not knowing it came with one. The purchased gasket was steel. It is confusing why the large price difference.
The ACD catalog link I used is: ACDelco Parts
I'd be interested in knowing the country of origin of the two units!

thanks, I had forgotten about this site, I used to use Compnine, or compine, can't remember the name, but since that's gone or so I think it is... all I needed to know was which pump was Original ... the higher price one is ...

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
**UPDATE**

After like 5 more minutes of research,:rotfl: I went with ***Water Pump #251-731 $69.84*** & ***Gasket #251-2029 $8.04*** from Amazon... Shipped to my door, came out to $83.91...
I was deliberating between eBay which had same WP at a much lower price with free shipping and no sales tax, but in this case you can't put price on your peace of mind... will update after it's been installed..

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
KNBlazer said:
I used to use Compnine,
Sadly, Compnine was a work of love by the owner, who didn't have a way to make it pay. I tried to buy a copy of the exploded drawings and parts data base from him but it didn't work out. For exploded views we often go to GM Parts - Chevrolet Parts, Cadillac Parts, GMC Parts and Buick Parts powered by Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick and drill down. There are other GM parts suppliers with exploded parts views, but most of them don't have the GM part numbers listed. Those can be useful in many ways. Rockauto is the typical place to evaluate aftermarket alternatives.
KNBlazer said:
I'm also getting a vibration, worst when in "D" ... it's still present when in "N" like at a red light but not as bad...
If it's a 10 Hz rotational vibration you can see on the intake manifold, it's motor mounts.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
the roadie said:
Sadly, Compnine was a work of love by the owner, who didn't have a way to make it pay. I tried to buy a copy of the exploded drawings and parts data base from him but it didn't work out. For exploded views we often go to GM Parts - Chevrolet Parts, Cadillac Parts, GMC Parts and Buick Parts powered by Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick and drill down. There are other GM parts suppliers with exploded parts views, but most of them don't have the GM part numbers listed. Those can be useful in many ways. Rockauto is the typical place to evaluate aftermarket alternatives.
If it's a 10 Hz rotational vibration you can see on the intake manifold, it's motor mounts.

Thanks will keep it in mind.... last night ended up getting a ride home on a tow truck, water pump completely failed, coolant all over the place... Received pump today, and PN 251-731 comes with the good gasket, so now I have a spare...

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Here are some pics, maybe they can be of use to one of my fellow GMTnation members...

View attachment 25715

Attachments

• IMAG0293.jpg
    IMAG0293.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0303.jpg
    IMAG0303.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0306.jpg
    IMAG0306.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0307.jpg
    IMAG0307.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0309.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0310.jpg
    IMAG0310.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0311.jpg
    IMAG0311.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0312.jpg
    IMAG0312.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0315.jpg
    IMAG0315.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 17

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
...Anyone know why my truck has the 130 amp alternator as opposed to the 150.. only thing I can think of is that it was replaced, but replaced after ONE year.. truck is a 2004 EXT LS I6, bought it in 2005 with 20K miles from a Chevy Dealer... never had it serviced for an alternator malfunction... bought the Serp belt #915 from auto parts store and it was too long, had to go with the #905 which is for the 130 amp Alternator... My reasoning is that they went with a 130 amp because a 150 wasn't available.. I checked ACDELCO.com with VIN and it only showed a 150 amp alternator, not a 130 amp... so what's the deal... RockAuto also shows the 150 amp Alternator..

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
meerschm said:

My brother in law used this handy "SPECIATLY" tool to hold the Pulley bolts in place, I think I'd still be going at it right now if it wasn't for his help.. took about 2 hours total, was having trouble with the fan Shroud.. used a dremel to notch the part of the shroud where the Radiator neck becomes a pain at...

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
KNBlazer said:
...Anyone know why my truck has the 130 amp alternator as opposed to the 150.. only thing I can think of is that it was replaced, but replaced after ONE year.. truck is a 2004 EXT LS I6, bought it in 2005 with 20K miles from a Chevy Dealer... never had it serviced for an alternator malfunction... bought the Serp belt #915 from auto parts store and it was too long, had to go with the #905 which is for the 130 amp Alternator... My reasoning is that they went with a 130 amp because a 150 wasn't available.. I checked ACDELCO.com with VIN and it only showed a 150 amp alternator, not a 130 amp... so what's the deal... RockAuto also shows the 150 amp Alternator..

I think the EXT uses a shorter belt. what does ACDELCO.com say about the belt?

not related to the alternator capacity. should be 150 Amp. I also think I remember seeing the reason for the belt length difference tied to the power steering pulley. a search may be in order. leads to discussion on the OS.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
KNBlazer said:

Based on what I have read here and investigated, the Belt listings in some Parts books are wrong and all trucks came with a 150 amp alternator. The reason for the belt change is because the EXT has a smaller diameter Power Steering Pump Pulley, and a shorter belt.

Belt size has nothing to do with the alternator.

KNBlazer

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Both AcDelco.com & RockAuto.com list the 150 alt as the correct alt for my EXT... Both list both belts with each being identified by the alt amp rating... The 915 at pep boys did say exc EXT, but RockAuto listed this as the belt for the 150 amp, & the 905 as the belt for 130amp... When it's time to replace alt, I'm gonna have them pull both alternators and see what's up.... :smile: I think I did read something about the P/S pulley when I replaced it..there were a couple part numbers for the pump...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online