Tie rod ends and front end work

dougman

Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here, and since I did any work to my TrailBlazer. I know that most of my front end components are very worn, so I'm replacing most everything. Not surprising given I have an '02 with 197K miles. I've ordered Moog UCA's, ACDelco professional upper ball joints, Raybestos Professional LCA's. I'm not sure how great the Raybestos parts are, but I've had a collection of parts in my cart at Amazon for almost a year. Recently, all the control arms were discounted. One of the front LCA's cost me $25.00 and the other was $57.00. I received the $25 one, but am still waiting for the other. The one I received sure appears to be very heavy duty. It has the bracket included as well as the the lower ball joint. I will also be replacing my front sway bar links, but they haven't been ordered yet.

I have replaced one tie rod end at 75K miles, but nothing since then. I haven't been underneath to check them recently, but I'm sure they are worn, if not completely worn out. The only thing is, I can't remember where the 16nn versus 14mm is measured at. Is there any other way of knowing aside from measuring?

I've got brakes all the way around needing to be done, but after that I'm hoping that this will restore things back to a good state. I replaced shocks all the way around with the Bilstein heavy duty's at 96K. They seem to be in good shape still, although I suspect they will need to be done eventually if I keep this for a lot longer. I've been eyeing the ACDelco Professional ready strut. It's a little more expensive than most options at $135 or so, but I'm not Not sure if this is actually a Bilstein strut or not, but I'm hoping it is. Did they equip TrailBlazers with anything but Bilstein? I do not want Monroe, and would buy the Bilstein strut separately, but I know my springs are pretty tired at this point. This seems like the best option. (I replaced them myself the first time reusing the spring and mount).

I've read some threads, but not a lot of info that I didn't already know. Any big suggestions as I do this? I do have a can of Kroil and will be applying it 48, and again 24 hours before I intend to start. I couldn't separate the "C" bracket that attaches to the bottom of the strut from the LCA when I had my ball joints replaced at 160K. I can only imagine how much more rusted they are now. Of course, I'm not afraid damage the bushing in the LCA like I was previously, so I can apply heat.

Nice to see so much activity on this board still. I have loved my TrailBlazer. It's been by far, my favorite vehicle I've owned. It's had it's share of issues (fan clutch, early '02 cylinder liner crack which caused me to replace it with an almost new 02 engine that wasn't affected, sway-bar links, etc), but it has never let me down. I have so many little things that need addressing that I'm not sure how much longer I can/should really keep it. My keyless stopped working (I believe it's the wiring fault in the loom at the tailgate hinge), my 6-disc changer is dead, the control buttons have had their labels and finish worn off, my transmission TCC valve/bore is worn causing the torque converter to slip. However, aside from really poor city MPG, it runs very well. The A/C still blows ice cold. There isn't a single tear or crack in the leather. All the windows go up and down as does the sunroof. There are no leaks inside, nor fluid leaks outside (hasn't ever leaked a DROP of anything other than tranny fluid when a quick change place overfilled it). The only major thing I've done aside from the engine, was to replace the rear end. I had growling gears and inspected the rear end at 150K service to find a big chip off one of the spider gears, so I found and swapped in a low mileage EXT rear-end with the same ratio and locker as my original. I used the links from the new rear end as they were in excellent shape and the bushings were in better condition.

Sorry for the long thread. Like I said at the beginning, it's been a while. I really do want to get the major issues fixed and hope I can hold on to her, economically, for a while longer.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
AC Delco shocks were Bilstein yes, but not the same as the blue/yellow bilsteins. They were the cheap ones and just OK, factory OEM stuff. FWIW, unless you're noticing sag in your springs they're probably OK. Or you could just get Moog replacement springs as they don't cost all that much if you want to stick with Bilstein HD.

THe only way I know of to check your tie rod end size is by trying to stick a 14mm vs a 16mm wrench around them. That's what I did on mine (and it was 16mm). Only the early ones had 14mm, so if yours was built later in the 2002 year model then it likely is 16mm. I'd just try it with a wrench to be sure though.

Getting that lower shock mount/yoke thing off the LCA is a pain in the butt. i used a pitman arm puller to get one off once, but couldn't get the other off no matter what I did.

I'd still have my 02, still ran great at 215k miles, but the frame rotted out from underneath it and the body wasn't far behind.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Change both tie rod ends as you will need an alignment once you loosen one of them, as well as your lower control arm brackets.

The lower control arm brackets have 3 bolts on each side, the front bolt is a whopping 195 foot pounds and the 2 rear bolts are 177 foot pounds. Make sure the shop knows this and I would verify afterwards with a big torque wrench.

Reactions: Mobileterminaluser

dougman

Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
My '02 is one of the very early ones, it went into service in October of 2001 I believe (hence the cracked 6th bore liner), so I will have to go out and check with a wrench or my calipers.

Interesting note about my TrailBlazer. It was used for the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. It was a vehicle used for the torch relay and had 24K miles on it when I got it. It had a wrap on the vehicle that used the color of the vehicle as the background. Until a couple years ago, you could see "On the road to Salt Lake City" lightly burned into the paint. It was rather run as I saw this vehicle during the relay as I had been wanting a TB, and both my sisters were torch bearers. Those individuals involved with the relay used the TB for transportation so I had the opportunity to look in depth at the vehicle which solidified my desire to own one. That vehicle is the one I now own.

I'd still have my 02, still ran great at 215k miles, but the frame rotted out from underneath it and the body wasn't far behind.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. We don't have vehicles rusting away as fast as the NE, we do get a lot of snow and salt here in Utah. I have zero body rust externally visible, but do have a little bubbling at the bottom inside of one of the rear doors. Things underneath are rusty and corroded, but it's very solid.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online