throwing grease from cv boot

deonlj2

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I have a 05 TB EXT 4wd 78000 miles. I just recently (last 750 miles) put a Marks old style lift on it. I was under it today and noticed what appeared to be grease from the cv axle on the frame and lower control arm area. It does look like the grease is coming from the boot, especially since it is on both sides. I didn't know if it is because of the lift and I havent changed the tires yet or if there is another problem going on. Also is there a easier fix to the problem besides pulling the axles. Thanks

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Are they factory CV axles?

The OEM ones have a stiffer boot and from what I understand this can happen on them. The fix is to get large hose clamps from the hardware store and use those on the boots to keep them tight in place. I think the size is 4" diameter but someone will chime in with confirmation of what size you need I'm sure.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
:iagree:
Before adding the clamps, make sure the boots aren't cracked, but it is usually just loose OEM clamps.

Also, you only need to start one thread.

deonlj2

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I believe they are the factory cv axles, not 100% percent sure since just got he vehicle bout month and half ago. Just to make sure I'm going to be doing it right I will need to remove the old clamps and then put new ones on. Also will putting hose clamps on make the cv axles out of balance or since the weight is so little it wont matter. Will it be a good idea to go ahead and try to put more grease in the boot while the clamp is removed. Thanks for the help.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The small weight won't make a difference.
Adding more grease depends on how much leaked out.
I don't know how much is is supposed to be in there.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Depending on the amount of grease you may not need to add grease. It would be a good idea to take a look in the boot since you need to remove the old clamp anyhow. It is a 4" hose clamp that will go up there. Since you say it is both sides since the lift I really doubt you have torn the boots.

BOOMERZ

Dec 5, 2011
ive noticed that the inner cv boot on my right side has been doing the same thing , i wiped it down but whne i changed my arms and installed the lift it was a mess there , is there anywhere i can just get the grease bag that comes with the boot without having to buy a whole boot kit ?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
djthumper said:

I hope it is okay to resurrect old posts when applicable... if not, too late now! I know I saw the roadie post about using a hose clamp, but my Google search brought me to this thread first. Great to see the size of clamp of 4"... now on to my question....

Can I use a High Temp Break and Wheel Bearing Grease (that I have a can of) instead of the CV grease I'd have to go buy? Not to be cheap, just why buy something if what I have will work seamlessly.

Thanks again, as always!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
CV grease is special. I can't guarantee HOW special, but a quick Googling is illuminating.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
i put a split boot on my old 81 k car. ran for another five or six years. (gave that car to the blind, but should have given it to the deaf, since it looked better than it sounded at the end)

when I noticed it was not sound, sprayed off the joint with brake cleaner and put new grease that came with a kit. that boot had little plastic screws.

I defer to others on the durability of a solvent welded boot. probably depends on how bad you stress the joint, and how your tolerance for keeping an eye on it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I think the CV grease is a bit more fluid (liquid?) than bearing grease. Could be wrong on that.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I've read enough... not going to fool with it. In some cases, certain things can be changed or worked around; not this one.

Thanks to all for the input!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online