throttle (might be an) issue

sunrisor

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
I'm a newbie to this forum, and this is my first post.

I just bought a '08 Envoy Denali, 5.3L V8, with 94k miles. I chose this because it has the same drivetrain as our '03 Yukon XL. However, this has an annoying lag in the throttle. I press on the pedal, maybe 5% down before it starts moving. There is a definite .5-1 second pause before it moves. I don't notice this at speed.

Our Yuke has instant throttle response. So, this is a little wierd.

So...is this the result of 5 years worth of technology? Or is there something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks for looking.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:tiphat: Welcome to the forum

Sounds like the usual torque management doing what it does. A lot of us hate the lack of throttle response as well, the usual recommendation is to get the PCM tuned, and have the torque management reduced. PCMofNC is a good place to start, they can answer any questions you have on their services.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
If you mean you tap the pedal and it delays for a second before rpm's rise then it's just a random delay. Not sure if it was intentionally designed to delay like that or not. Our '03 Silverado 5.3 and our '04 TB EXT does it.

Some company makes a thing that you plug into the throttle pedal wires that eliminates the delay, not sure if it's offered for the 360/370 platform or not though.

If you're saying that when you press the pedal a little and nothing happens until you press it further almost as if it's an old cable-style (think carburetor) pedal that has slack in the cable, pretty much the same thing. Both of the vehicles I mentioned also had that. Not sure why though.

Also, welcome to GMTNation! :tiphat:

sunrisor

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
I read another thread about torque managenment, just hoped it was something else. I've only had a week, so hopefully I will get used to it. However, I may think about some PCM tuning...

thanks for the input.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And if you want to see how torque management works, this video shows it very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLsY7dYjenY

To get rid of it, as explained earlier, you need a PCM tune. Lime Swap does flashes but is way cheaper than PCM of NC ($99 vs $250) for the 5.3L. Basically, he charges the same as for the 4.2L.

Reactions: Blckshdw

sunrisor

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Ok, so after some googling, I understand what TM is and why it's there. That leaves the question: In normal driving, what would it do the longevity of the trans if it were removed? I find it pretty annoying.

My Envoy (and my Yukon) is a stocker and always will be a stocker. My toy is an '89 1 ton dually... :thumbsup:

btw...Mooseman, good video...thanks...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
In normal driving, if you're not abusive with the skinny pedal, you should be fine, depending on how much TM you remove. If you were towing with it, or frequently going WOT, then I can see your tranny not liking that as much if you removed most/all of it.

I know when I first got my tune, I swear I had an ear to ear grin for about a week when driving my EXT. My buddy has an XUV, and when he had me drive it so he could drink that evening, I thought there was something wrong with it, when it wouldn't accelerate on demand. Then I remembered he was still stock :redface:

sunrisor said:
My Envoy is a stocker and always will be a stocker. :thumbsup:
Sure... You say that now... heh heh :satan: :wink:

sunrisor

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Blckshdw..thanks for the input. That makes the mod even more tempting. I don't think I can get used to it. The wife says she doesn't mind it, but I know she will like it once it's done. After all, she's a gearhead too.

...the term "stocker" has a pretty broad definition...right? :yes:

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
IMO disabling torque management will prolong the life of the transmission. It is wearing out your clutches and your torque converter by reducing the pressure going to them.

Mine is disabled, and pressure set to 120%. Feels strong and shifts great.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
BT, mine is the same way. Jeremy set mine to something over 100% pressure. I want to get it backed down just a tad as the 1-2 shift can be quite firm. My wife and mother-in-law both complained about it. Of course, they don't drive it as much as me, but I'd still like it dialed back a bit. Just have to set a date with Jeremy.

But, I do like the no lag throttle response. It is very close to a cable, and when you press it, it goes!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
My shift time was shortened from around 0.5 sec to around 0.25 sec also. That may be what I'm feeling rather than the pressure. Or it may be the combo of the higher pressure and the shorter shift time makes it feel that much sharper and harder.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I put a shift kit in my TB 4.2 and the 1-2 shifts are too harsh even for me. Feels like I'm getting rammed from behind. Love the no PWM TCC lockup. I'll probably put one in my 9-7x but will have to get some info from the vendor so that 1-2 is not as hard.

sunrisor

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
WOW!! ok...ok...I'm convinced!! Looks like I am defininitely getting my PCM tuned!!! :eek:

...so much for the..."stocker"... :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online