Thinking about this audio system

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Hey guys, okay so I am thinking of throwing these into my truck. The place will sell these with the warranty and install and wires etc for $400. I see there good quality items but what do you guys think?

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics

or

Alpine SPS-610 Type S 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers — fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

which of these two would be a better buy?

also for the amp this is was the best for its price and all I need, dont want to put one too expensive. any good reviews from you guys on this brand? guy at the store said there good

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch BRT 300-Watt Ultra Compact 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics

also have any of you guys heard of hybrid audio? The guy at the shop said there the best and only used in high end shops etc. True?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Between the two I'd get the polks. I've heard a lot of setups with their db series speakers and haven't been disappointed. Nothing against alpine I'm sure they do ok too.

I've heard of that mini RF amp but haven't had one to test. I really want to test how hot it gets after prolonged use. I'm like, where da heatsink at yo?!?!

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
02TrailBlazer said:
Personally I'm getting these speakers,

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A1685R 6-1/2" / 6-3/4" 4-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers: Car Electronics

With this amp, (I like the inputs and outputs on this one better than the one you had mentioned)

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate R400-4D 400 Watt Full-Range Class-D 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics

And unfortunately I've never heard of Hybrid :confused:

Those are good, I wouldn't get a amp that can over power the speakers though. That will blow them down the road if pushed too much. But I am sure you know how to treat them so if so then it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah I never heard of them either, i would love to hear how they are though if there so high end like that guy said

MAY03LT said:
Between the two I'd get the polks. I've heard a lot of setups with their db series speakers and haven't been disappointed. Nothing against alpine I'm sure they do ok too.

I've heard of that mini RF amp but haven't had one to test. I really want to test how hot it gets after prolonged use. I'm like, where da heatsink at yo?!?!

I have heard the polk and they were really good and loud and clear. Now I do not know a ton on car speakers being I never really deal with them too often, what does coaxial mean? Those polk ones I put up seem like they have a tweeter in the middle right?

also was looking up videos on how to remove the door panel on the envoy and first one up was yours, good video man!!

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
I have the Polks and they are bad ass. Coax is the design. Note the sensitivity of the coax Polks (92db) vs the Alpine (88db). This equates to how loud they will play at a set amount of amperage. Higher is louder. :wink:

I would not worry about too much wattage. Distortion is what kills a speaker. If you have a clean signal (not FM radio), you will be able to drive them extremely hard.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ItsOnVoy said:
I have heard the polk and they were really good and loud and clear. Now I do not know a ton on car speakers being I never really deal with them too often, what does coaxial mean? Those polk ones I put up seem like they have a tweeter in the middle right?

also was looking up videos on how to remove the door panel on the envoy and first one up was yours, good video man!!

Like Ed said, it's the design. A coax has the woofer and tweet housed together like the ones in your links. A component set has a separate woofer and tweet. There's a little more too it but that's the gist of it.

Also thanks man just hit half a milli views the other day:wootwoot:

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Ed H said:
I have the Polks and they are bad ass. Coax is the design. Note the sensitivity of the coax Polks (92db) vs the Alpine (88db). This equates to how loud they will play at a set amount of amperage. Higher is louder. :wink:

I would not worry about too much wattage. Distortion is what kills a speaker. If you have a clean signal (not FM radio), you will be able to drive them extremely hard.

MAY03LT said:
Like Ed said, it's the design. A coax has the woofer and tweet housed together like the ones in your links. A component set has a separate woofer and tweet. There's a little more too it but that's the gist of it.

Also thanks man just hit half a milli views the other day:wootwoot:

Thank you for the clarification guys! That helps!

02Olds

Dec 29, 2012
If I were you, I'd use this amp with the Alpine Type-S Speakers.
Alpine KTP-445U (ktp445u) Universal Head Unit Power Pack for Use

I've got Alpine Type-R components in the rear doors running off my head unit, stock Bose tweeters and front speakers running off the stock Bose Amplifier, as well as a Type-S 12" sub to a 1100 watt Boss amp wired with 4 gauge wire and it sounds crystal clear. Alpine speakers are fantastic. I plan to keep the Bose tweets to the Bose amplifier, and use the Alpine KTP 445U amplifier I suggested above to amplify my rear speakers as well as putting Type-R coaxial speakers in the front to replace the stock Bose front door speakers, and then will continue to upgrade my amp and sub to a Type-R as well as a Hifonics amp.

If you're interested in the Type-R speakers as well, sonic electronix has a great sale on them. I got my components for the rear for only $150!
Alpine 6-1/2" Speakers | Car Speakers | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

Good luck with your upgrade, and let us know what the final result is like!:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online