Thinking about buying a 2003 GMC Yukon Denali ???

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
2003 GMC Yukon Denali - $13,998 96K miles. Looks in great shape and tough. Might trade in the Envoy. Any opinions?? It is big compared to the Envoy SLE that I just got but I cant handle how slow the v6 IS. Anyone have one that can add any comments? Thanks!

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
my 04 trailblazer is significantly faster/Quicker then my parents 04 Tahoe z71. But if I had that tahoe I would throw a procharger on it. Do you have 3k to supercharge it? if not it's gonna be slower.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
If speed is what you're after, the bigger, heavier yukon won't really do you any good. But the Denalis are super nice all around...

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
A GMC Yukon isn't necessarily going to be faster...even with the V8 pulling 320HP with 365lbs of torque it is also 1000lbs heavier than the Envoy XL SLT which is the long wheel base with 3rd row seat, so if you have the short wheel base Envoy....your Envoy will probably out run that Yukon. There are so many mods out there that you can do to enhance your performance. The reason our trucks feel so sluggish and slow is because of the torque management, if you got a tune from PCMforless and had it disabled, you would see a HUGE difference.

Put it this way...if the dealership(assuming you bought it from a dealership) gave you 7k for your Envoy, your still left paying 7k for the Yukon. I would use that 7k and put it into the Envoy and make that baby 10x faster than that yukon.

Or...you could just get an SS if your looking for speed, an SS would blow the balls off of that Yukon and Envoy with ease.

Edit again to add- Your Envoy does NOT have a v6 it is an I6 better known as the inline 6 :biggrin:

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
So I have a 2004 gmc envoy sle. How much faster can I make it? I thought if I had the v8 I could get a tune or add some stuff to make it faster?

The dealer saId he would give me 5k for the trade in and sell the 2003 gmc denali for $ 13k.it has 96k miles. Also it. Has the bigger engine in it . It felt pretty good. I just dont know if I can buy a suv with 100k miles. I know my envoy is in great condition. Who knows what can happen with the denali but I do like it way better. Sorry for the. Typos....I am on my cell.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
dvdman said:
So I have a 2004 gmc envoy sle. How much faster can I make it? I thought if I had the v8 I could get a tune or add some stuff to make it faster?

The dealer saId he would give me 5k for the trade in and sell the 2003 gmc denali for $ 13k.it has 96k miles. Also it. Has the bigger engine in it . It felt pretty good. I just dont know if I can buy a suv with 100k miles. I know my envoy is in great condition. Who knows what can happen with the denali but I do like it way better. Sorry for the. Typos....I am on my cell.

You can put headers on and get +30HP which doesn't sound like much but it's a good bit. They run IIRC $700 for the Kooks header, there is a thread here on it. You can definitely get a tune on your I6 and it will improve more than just your HP...you can decide what shift hardness you want, remove the governor which means your truck won't shut off automatically at the 105MPH mark I believe it is, and of course you can remove the torque management (see video below for an example of what I'm talking about). The possibilities are endless really. Sure you won't get a souped up truck like on fast and the furious, but it will indeed go faster, handle better etc..

I would just do as much reading and learning and get to know your Envoy before you call it quits. I mean hell the safety of these trucks compared to the yukon in my opinion are amazing, to me they look better. But you also have to remember that the Envoy is not a sport vehicle it is a luxury vehicle, you could easily get 320HP out of your Envoy, you just have to know what your doing, and have money to do it.

And yes, there are probably a lot more options with the V8....but if you want to go fast you have one of 2 options...get an SS or get a sport car. These are all things that should have been considered before buying your truck. These trucks aren't made to go balls out right from the factory, and neither is a V8. Either way, your looking at spending money, lots of it, even if you do get the yukon, not only are you out 7k but you'll be out much more money to make it go fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLsY7dYjenY

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
dvdman said:
So I have a 2004 gmc envoy sle. How much faster can I make it? I thought if I had the V8. I could get a tune or add some stuff to make it faster?

Yes you have more options with the V8, but you need to consider that Yukon's weight. Ask any racer and they'll tell you power is not as important as the power to weight ratio.

The Yukon has 320 hp and weighs 5,609 lbs power to weight ratio 17 lbs per hp. Your vehicles info is missing in your profile, but assuming you have the SWB 4x2, the Envoy weighs 4,432 lbs with 275 hp, power to weight = 16.1 lbs per hp. So to get the equivalent performance from the Yukon, you'd have to add 30 hp. Not too hard, PCM tune, cat back exhaust etc. and you're there. But spend that money to gain 30 hp on the Envoy and your still ahead due to the difference in weight.

If you really want to go crazy on the horsepower, the Yukon is the way to go because there are more performance parts (superchargers, cams, stroker cranks etc.) for the V8 than for the I6. Spend $1000 on the Envoy and you're pretty much maxed out on mods (headers, tune, maybe ported TB), unless you go with custom parts. On the V8 the old axiom applies "horsepower costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Interesting points. I dont want to spend more than $1000 but want a faster truck of course. Thanks for the advice. I will need to do more research.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
If you don't need the extra space, I would keep the Envoy and get a tune.
You could trade your I6 Envoy for a newer lower mileage V8 Envoy and have less in it.

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
navigator said:
If you don't need the extra space, I would keep the Envoy and get a tune.
You could trade your I6 Envoy for a newer lower mileage V8 Envoy and have less in it.

See ...some people were saying its easier and more practical to trade it in and get a V8. Im trying to see whats for sale and how much it will cost. The Denali was pretty cool tho...(Big)

Feb 24, 2012
Maybe you want to buy my truck! I'm getting ready to sell soon. The 8.1 adds a few lb ft of torque to override the power to weight issue. It's surprisingly quick off the line!

You do pay for it at the pump though.

At any rate, the Yukon is a tough truck. It all depends what your needs are.

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
deekster_caddy said:
Maybe you want to buy my truck! I'm getting ready to sell soon. The 8.1 adds a few lb ft of torque to override the power to weight issue. It's surprisingly quick off the line!

You do pay for it at the pump though.

At any rate, the Yukon is a tough truck. It all depends what your needs are.

I like the Yukon a lot. I have a young boy and girl and we travel once in a while to see family. It is big and has the DVD( stuff for the kids) and feel safe. So I only drive to the train for work which is 6 miles a day so the pain at the pump is not an issue. I am just wondering ..do you think a 2003 GMC Yukon with 96K miles for $13k is worth it? If I put on 8000 mile a year will this truck keep its value in 3 or 4 years? Its kinda hard to buy a SUV with a 100K miles on it but since I only drive 6 miles a day I figure why not.....might as well ride in style. (IMO)

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
dvdman said:
I like the Yukon a lot. I have a young boy and girl and we travel once in a while to see family. It is big and has the DVD( stuff for the kids) and feel safe. So I only drive to the train for work which is 6 miles a day so the pain at the pump is not an issue. I am just wondering ..do you think a 2003 GMC Yukon with 96K miles for $13k is worth it? If I put on 8000 mile a year will this truck keep its value in 3 or 4 years? Its kinda hard to buy a SUV with a 100K miles on it but since I only drive 6 miles a day I figure why not.....might as well ride in style. (IMO)

The Yukon Denali is it the 6.0 AWD?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
dvdman said:

ok, I expect it will have a little more pep than a 5.3 version.
I expect it would also get closer to 13mpg around town but that isn't a whole lot worse than my TB

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
dvdman said:
2003 GMC Yukon Denali - $13,998 96K miles. Looks in great shape and tough. Might trade in the Envoy. Any opinions?? It is big compared to the Envoy SLE that I just got but I cant handle how slow the v6 IS. Anyone have one that can add any comments? Thanks!

As long as you're thinking older SUV,why not just get an Envoy Denali.Not a dragster either but the V8 has a refined feeling to it's power,smooth,throaty and never sounds like it's straining when you load it up.My mpg is 17-18 town/rural roads....just sayin'.....Mike.

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
northcreek said:
As long as you're thinking older SUV,why not just get an Envoy Denali.Not a dragster either but the V8 has a refined feeling to it's power,smooth,throaty and never sounds like it's straining when you load it up.My mpg is 17-18 town/rural roads....just sayin'.....Mike.

From what I looked up The Envoy Den. were comparable to the Yukon in price. I notice the Envoys were a few years newer. Tough choices...

dvdman

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Voymom said:
You can put headers on and get +30HP which doesn't sound like much but it's a good bit. They run IIRC $700 for the Kooks header, there is a thread here on it. You can definitely get a tune on your I6 and it will improve more than just your HP...you can decide what shift hardness you want, remove the governor which means your truck won't shut off automatically at the 105MPH mark I believe it is, and of course you can remove the torque management (see video below for an example of what I'm talking about). The possibilities are endless really. Sure you won't get a souped up truck like on fast and the furious, but it will indeed go faster, handle better etc..

I would just do as much reading and learning and get to know your Envoy before you call it quits. I mean hell the safety of these trucks compared to the yukon in my opinion are amazing, to me they look better. But you also have to remember that the Envoy is not a sport vehicle it is a luxury vehicle, you could easily get 320HP out of your Envoy, you just have to know what your doing, and have money to do it.

And yes, there are probably a lot more options with the V8....but if you want to go fast you have one of 2 options...get an SS or get a sport car. These are all things that should have been considered before buying your truck. These trucks aren't made to go balls out right from the factory, and neither is a V8. Either way, your looking at spending money, lots of it, even if you do get the yukon, not only are you out 7k but you'll be out much more money to make it go fast.

Trailblazer LL8 4.2 liter electronic throttle demonstration - YouTube

This electric throttle is interesting. How much does something like this cost? DO they have to reprogram it?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
dvdman said:
This electric throttle is interesting. How much does something like this cost? DO they have to reprogram it?

All you need to get that is a pcmforless tune. Its pretty cheap too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR