Thinkin about doing a repair

03luvvoy

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not sure what this would best fit under but I'm wondering if anyone has used the masterpro brand hubs lookin at replacing my drivers side but not sure what to get other than timken thanks in advance!!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
From what I've read and heard, Timken is higher priced for a reason. Still way less than the dealer, but more than the cheap Chinee (sic) crap. Some of the guys here that have done the front hub/bearing and used the cheap one were replacing it much sooner than they would have liked while those using the Timkens were able to get OEM-type mileage from them. I just ordered 2 Timkens for the wife's Impala. Checked with a friend at a stealership and I was quoted $440( :eek: ) for the pair. For the price break/quality ratio, I was happy to spend $190 shipped for the Timkens from Rock Auto. I checked ebay, Amazon and another place or 2 for them and RA had the best price.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I got mine from the above...installed a while ago now on drivers side...still working great.

They are made in USA....that is important to some of us. And they used to make them for Timken. At least the lady I spoke with told me that.

Easy fix. Good luck!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Just did a search and found that MasterPro is sold at O'Reilly. They look to be a good unit and are cheaper than Timken at Rock Auto for the TB, but the same price for the Impala.

We just had an O'Reilly open near me so I may have to start checking them for parts.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
JCJARHEAD said:
They are made in USA....that is important to some of us. And they used to make them for Timken. At least the lady I spoke with told me that.
MI Bearings told me the same. And I have no reason to doubt them. But their reliability was as poor as the CCC I previously bought as an experiment. 12-14 months and they were both scrap. I abuse them horribly offroad, and am used to getting only 1-2 years out of hubs, but I thought MI Bearing would be better. Alas, my experience with MI Bearings was not good. YMMV. Road use may be fine for them.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
Happy New Year Roadie!

Sorry to hear of the poor performance of the bearings for you. Mine is a daily driver so no agrressive off roading to be sure! So far so good? I, much like yourself, like to keep my biz local when appropriate and buy AMERICAN PRODUCTS. But I certainly would not purchase inferior quality just because it was made in the USA. I like to buy my own parts, sometimes based on the recommendations I get here...other times my own research. I then either install myself (with lots of your help!)....or go to my local mechanic who has proven himself to be HONEST. Thus my strong preference.

On the bright side....given the AWESOME and WELL DOCUMENTED instructions I always get from you/GMT Nation. If mine do eventually break down...I now have the knowledge to address it!

This from the guy who had never even changed his own oil until stumbling upon this site some years ago. I have now done trans flush (with protocol here), coolant flush, brakes (F and R), plugs, O2 sensors, TCCM swap, etc.

Yet my wife still thinks I am going to ultimately destroy this thing by trying to repair it! So far...so good. She has known me for a while and she realizes I have had far more formal training in my life on how to destroy things; moreso than fix anything?:biggrin:

Carry on.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
JCJARHEAD said:
This from the guy who had never even changed his own oil until stumbling upon this site some years ago. I have now done trans flush (with protocol here), coolant flush, brakes (F and R), plugs, O2 sensors, TCCM swap, etc.
You must have bought a first edition of my book that I wrote while on the old site years ago:

trailvoy-for-dummies.jpg

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I would claim to be class Valedictorian...but I am not that smart!:confused:

Old site...New site...it matters not....the knowledge flows forth from the Oracle of GMTs, a.k.a. The Roadie!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online