The stock airbox...Why replace it?

MDBT

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Some of the aftermarket intake setups come with a new box while some of the most revered intakes still use the stock box. So I ask the question, what's the point of spending more money to replace the stock airbox? Is there actually more power, more flow, better filtration, less restriction, or cooler intake temps to be found with an aftermarket box? And if so, are those changes even noticeable or measurable? Or is it simply a waste of money to buy a CAI or Volant or similar kit that replaces the stock box with something else?

I realize our options are getting thinner. Three of the more popular kits the TBSS guys used to talk about all the time are no longer produced so that leaves us with K&N, Volant, CAI, and a few others. The three I listed make a kit that replaces the stock box and it's getting harder to find ones that don't.

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Im sticking to the stock one. i just cant see that much gain from a air intake Unless your going with a fast intake or edelbrock with a bigger cam. Just makes more noise. Could be wrong. Some of the newer kits use the stock box.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online