the 05 Saab 97x 5.3 has a ad244 alternator

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
the 05 Saab 97x 5.3 has a ad244 alternator

I need a 100% working alt. in my car 99trans am it originally came w/ a one wire (exciter) small cased 105amp.alt.

more than 15 years ago, I swapped in the larger cased used ad244 145amp. Which are in the escalades/tahoes ect.

according to rock auto the 05 saab97x 5.3 is the only ad244 I belive it's also referred to as the KG3.so it's appears I can't use the 07 saab 97x 5.3 alt.07 saab ACDELCO 3342747A in the car.

05 saab GM GENUINE 3212128 Reman.

145 AMP(KG3)

05 saab ACDELCO 3342529A Gold; Remanufactured Info

Pulley 6S; Amps: 145

so did GM change alts. In 07?

I recently purchased a powermaster cs130 which is a 165amp alt.w/ AC a radio on still having voltage drops down to 8vdc.purchased at amazon for $175. summit discribes the product

pls excuse the foul language

when bumping radio , the radio turned itself off I've never had the radio turn off during a voltage drop.

audio sys. isn't extreme speaker amp is alpine 4X75 watts rms 4 expensive alpine speaker sys. sub amp rockford fosgate a/b type bridged 300watt rms 10" infinity sub, so not real powerfull.

I've looked over the radio wiring nothing loose or wronge
I done the big three w/ thick 0AWG battery neg to ground, alt case to ground ,battery positive to alt.output.

plan to cruise by the battery store I think they have a battery load tester. thanks for any alternator advice.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
In 2006, and in 2005 for specific vehicles (my 2005 Saturn is one) GM introduced the very, VERY, annoying system with power sense, that will only turn on the alternator when specific functions are requested, or during engine warm up.

There is a way around this.. I dont know what it is thou.

I also dont know if your 2005 donor engine (and I assume PCM/TCM) are also part of the power sense system. @Mooseman I think was telling me about it, as my 2006 Escalade also had it, and its very annoying.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
In 2006, and in 2005 for specific vehicles (my 2005 Saturn is one) GM introduced the very, VERY, annoying system with power sense, that will only turn on the alternator when specific functions are requested, or during engine warm up.

There is a way around this.. I dont know what it is thou.

I also dont know if your 2005 donor engine (and I assume PCM/TCM) are also part of the power sense system. @Mooseman I think was telling me about it, as my 2006 Escalade also had it, and its very annoying.
I believe 04 GMs where the last year the alt.s had the one wire (excitor) I found this out during my reacrh for my battery isolator/separator in my 04 chevy express 3500.

so it sounds like rock auto was correct that the 06-07 alt.s are in fact differnt . they sense though the computer compared to the one wire (excitor)

if there is a simple way to reuse the 07 saab 97xs alt. that would be good bc I believe it's 145amps. thanks tollkeeper for response
I just noticed you from CO. seams like alot of pro athletes get trapped in a rape extorsion scandle in CO, cobie brayant, big ben rothlisburger to mention a few where these 2 men trapped at the same mountain resort hotel? I've been hearing alot about whats under the denver airport. kindof scarie.thanks again

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Theres a way to cut a wire, or something, at the 4 wire plug, that will turn the alternator into a always on alternator. But which one, I have no idea.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would be the SARVC system. It's a sensor attached to the negative battery cable to sense when there is a power draw and to bump up the alternator. When charging is not required or low power draw, it throttles down the alternator. this is actually good as it prevents overcharging the battery constantly at 14v.

The way to disable it is to unplug that sensor. It will turn on the alternator all the time like an older one and stay in the 14v range. No idea if this would work fitting the newer alternator on an older platform that requires the PCM to regulate it.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
That would be the SARVC system. It's a sensor attached to the negative battery cable to sense when there is a power draw and to bump up the alternator. When charging is not required or low power draw, it throttles down the alternator. this is actually good as it prevents overcharging the battery constantly at 14v.

The way to disable it is to unplug that sensor. It will turn on the alternator all the time like an older one and stay in the 14v range. No idea if this would work fitting the newer alternator on an older platform that requires the PCM to regulate it.
so the newer style alt. started in 06 on all GMs small car- big 3500s?didn't know it was new an improved but makes sense after you explain it.
I thought the internal regulator slowed the charge down from 14vdc.

I believe my kenwood radio was causing this huge power draw. now kenwood won't turn on after it turned itself off twice during each video.kenwood is getting power bc I see the burgular warning light blinking

Last few years the 2 piece head unit has had connectivity issues, first 5 years I'd always remove an hide in console so scum wouldn't break the window an run off w/ kenwood.

then I started observing connectivity issues so just left in all the time.maybe the brass connections need electronic cleaning.

I do have a replacment radio.thanks Mooseman you the man also thanks toolkeeper for god advice as usale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online