tb wont start?

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
So my wife went to go get in the truck tonight started fine but one of our hids didn't light up so we switched the headlight switch on and off a few time (normally it will come on) that didn't work so she popped the hood and checked the connections everything was good. She then shut the truck off and tried to start it and now it won't start!? Any ideas guys? It tries to turn over but won't almost like its not getting fuel!?:confused:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
cmatb08 said:
So my wife went to go get in the truck tonight started fine but one of our hids didn't light up so we switched the headlight switch on and off a few time (normally it will come on) that didn't work so she popped the hood and checked the connections everything was good. She then shut the truck off and tried to start it and now it won't start!? Any ideas guys? It tries to turn over but won't almost like its not getting fuel!?:confused:

That's really hard to diagnose this way but you may have blown a fuse or kicked a breaker.... Almost like something shorted out on ya...

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I kinda figured it would be ha. If its something small that I don't have to take it to the dealer to get fixed I would prefer (but who wouldn't). I was going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow morning to try that. The last time we changed that was almost 3yrs ago and we just replaced the fuel pump about a month or two ago.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Before changing the fuel filter, check the fuses under the hood with a meter or test light.
A bad filter usually lets the engine start, but you lose power under load.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
That's what a buddy of mine said, or we could have got a bad fuel pump when we replaced it.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
So I got home from work this morning and looked at the truck checked all the fuses and then looked at the throttle body, that was thethe issue all along. The throttle plate was stuck shut. I had to pop it free with the back of a screw driver. Now she pulls hard under 3/4 throttle and even harder on wot. I dud notice it had a lot if carbon build up, I just recently cleaned it about a month ago dies anyone know how to reduce the amount of carbon build up?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
cmatb08 said:
So I got home from work this morning and looked at the truck checked all the fuses and then looked at the throttle body, that was thethe issue all along. The throttle plate was stuck shut. I had to pop it free with the back of a screw driver. Now she pulls hard under 3/4 throttle and even harder on wot. I dud notice it had a lot if carbon build up, I just recently cleaned it about a month ago dies anyone know how to reduce the amount of carbon build up?

They make "catch cans" that will catch the oil residue that is coming thru the line. That is was actually causes the buildup, the residue is from oil fumes building up on the throttle plate.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
McGMT said:
They make "catch cans" that will catch the oil residue that is coming thru the line. That is was actually causes the buildup, the residue is from oil fumes building up on the throttle plate.

Where can I get one?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
cmatb08 said:
Where can I get one?

If you do a google search or whoever you use you will see a TON of them.. Shop around...

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
cmatb08 said:

Did you remove the t-body to clean the back?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
cmatb08 said:
Not yet my wife is going to pull it and clean for me
Indeed. :crackup:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
cmatb08 said:
Not yet my wife is going to pull it and clean for me

the roadie said:

I'm going to assume we're still talking about the t-body. :wink:
What I meant was the last time you cleaned it, did you remove it to clean both front and back? Just spraying the front, misses the really sticky goo (a technical term) that's on the back.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
I'm going to assume we're still talking about the t-body. :wink:
What I meant was the last time you cleaned it, did you remove it to clean both front and back? Just spraying the front, misses the really sticky goo (a technical term) that's on the back.

I pulled both the throttle body and spacer out and cleaned both with a throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Just a thought: Could the spacer cause a vortex, causing more sticky goo to be deposited on the back of the plate?
Three months seem like an awfully short time to be a problem.
How many miles were put on in that 3 months?

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
Not likely, throttle body spacer has only one use on our trucks, to make you waste money. Even the tornado insert that creates a "Vortex" only restricts airflow it claims to improve, shouldn't create buildup.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
What cleaner did you use?
If the t-body is clean, and it still seems to stick, it's possible the cleaner caused some damage to the seals. :undecided:

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
What cleaner did you use?
If the t-body is clean, and it still seems to stick, it's possible the cleaner caused some damage to the seals. :undecided:

It's the same cleaner I always use I thinks it the crc throttle body cleaner

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online